Stubborn Seacocks and Table Legs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fritz3000g

Re: Stubborn Seacocks and Table Legs

Post by fritz3000g »

That's not a slow leak. A few drops per hour or minute maybe but this sounds like something worth a haul out. Can you do a short haul?
Well that's a bummer. Realistically, I can't do a haul-out till July. I live too far away and I can't spare the time it would take to get it to a crane.

Is there a reason to think that the risk of the boat sinking with a current leak rate < 1 gal/hr with 2 bilge pumps and 220AH of battery capacity is more than 1%?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Fritz,
I don't think I would be comfortable leaving our boat overnight with a one gallon per hour leak. How many hours/gallons will it be before you can get back to the boat. Where do you suppose that bilge pump was manufactured? Even if your boat doesn't sink, water over the floorboards would cause a lot of damage. Sorry :(
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Well, not having a choice I guess I get to be an experiment. Sleeping onboard last night I noticed that the pump runs pretty consistently for about 5 seconds every 20 minutes. I can't see the pump manufacturer or part number, but I'll add a second pump either today (if it's arrived) or next week. Stay tuned!
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I've been checking on the boat once a week since I first posted. At this point, the leak has stopped. Some gradoo from the marina appears to have clogged it.

Prior to that, the first bilge pump was still working great. It hasn't discharged the battery a noticable amount, and the solar panel is working.

The head seacock leaks when open as well, but that's the opposite issue. While the port cockpit drain is so tight I can't get the barrel inside the housing much, the head seacock is so loose that the barrel is set 1/4" inside the edge of the housing. I plan to inspect more closely in the fall, but this one seems like lapping compound isn't the solution.