Where Is The Far Reach--Part III

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

wikakaru

Re: Where Is The Far Reach--Part III

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote: ...
I'm working through a collection of 8 books by HW Tilman about his head shaking voyages to the high latitudes to climb glaciers and mountains. I'm on the fourth book now about his second voyage to Greenland and Baffin Island. Snatching sun shots and stars when they could get them. Dodging icebergs. What an amazing individual. The sport of sailing and exploring at its highest level.
I somehow missed Tilman's books during my sailing education. Regrettably, reading for any length of time is now difficult for me, so I guess I won't ever get to read them. Too bad. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series.
For me, and I think for most modern sailors, I have to let go of the comfort of always knowing exactly where I am 24/7. So there is a mental component to this I am still getting my arms around. That's why I think to get the real experience you can't have the GPS running in the back ground (or even on board really). Like engineless sailing. If you are executing a difficult maneuver under sail but the engine to ticking over "just in case" or even if it's off but you can start it with the turn of a key, it's not engineless sailing.
Racing sailors on long-distance races have engines aboard, they just don't use them unless they have retired from the race. I'm thinking about Vestas 11th Hour Racing who were dismasted in 2018 during the Volvo Ocean Race after rounding Cape Horn and who reached safety by motoring to the Falkland Islands. That's a situation where having an engine onboard either saved their lives, or at least allowed them to proceed to a safe harbor without risking the lives of any potential rescuers.

I don't see any reason why you can't do the same with a GPS: have it onboard but don't use it unless you intend to "retire" from your quest. EPIRBs and satellite trackers both contain a GPS, but I don't think you'd want to leave them behind. Look at the story of Abhilash Tomy whose boat was rolled and dismasted in the Southern Indian Ocean during the Golden Globe Race in 2018 and who suffered back injuries and was unable to walk. The GGR is celestial-only, yet according to news reports, Tomy activated an EPIRB and also sent a text message to race organizers, meaning he had some kind of device capable of satellite communications. (I think the GGR requires racers have a YellowBrick.) He had to be removed from his boat in a stretcher and had to learn to walk all over again. It is almost certain that GPS technology saved his life.

I know you have an engine and multiple GPS units aboard Far Reach, but that doesn't mean you have to use them. I know you are not racing, but if you are "questing", you just don't allow yourself to use them. If you do, it means that you have retired from your quest, but at least you're going to have a better chance of staying alive.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:
I'm working through a collection of 8 books by HW Tilman about his head shaking voyages to the high latitudes to climb glaciers and mountains. I'm on the fourth book now about his second voyage to Greenland and Baffin Island. Snatching sun shots and stars when they could get them. Dodging icebergs. What an amazing individual. The sport of sailing and exploring at its highest level.
I somehow missed Tilman's books during my sailing education. Regrettably, reading for any length of time is now difficult for me, so I guess I won't ever get to read them. Too bad. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series.
For me, and I think for most modern sailors, I have to let go of the comfort of always knowing exactly where I am 24/7. So there is a mental component to this I am still getting my arms around. That's why I think to get the real experience you can't have the GPS running in the back ground (or even on board really). Like engineless sailing. If you are executing a difficult maneuver under sail but the engine to ticking over "just in case" or even if it's off but you can start it with the turn of a key, it's not engineless sailing.
Racing sailors on long-distance races have engines aboard, they just don't use them unless they have retired from the race. I'm thinking about Vestas 11th Hour Racing who were dismasted in 2018 during the Volvo Ocean Race after rounding Cape Horn and who reached safety by motoring to the Falkland Islands. That's a situation where having an engine onboard either saved their lives, or at least allowed them to proceed to a safe harbor without risking the lives of any potential rescuers.

I don't see any reason why you can't do the same with a GPS: have it onboard but don't use it unless you intend to "retire" from your quest. EPIRBs and satellite trackers both contain a GPS, but I don't think you'd want to leave them behind. Look at the story of Abhilash Tomy whose boat was rolled and dismasted in the Southern Indian Ocean during the Golden Globe Race in 2018 and who suffered back injuries and was unable to walk. The GGR is celestial-only, yet according to news reports, Tomy activated an EPIRB and also sent a text message to race organizers, meaning he had some kind of device capable of satellite communications. (I think the GGR requires racers have a YellowBrick.) He had to be removed from his boat in a stretcher and had to learn to walk all over again. It is almost certain that GPS technology saved his life.

I know you have an engine and multiple GPS units aboard Far Reach, but that doesn't mean you have to use them. I know you are not racing, but if you are "questing", you just don't allow yourself to use them. If you do, it means that you have retired from your quest, but at least you're going to have a better chance of staying alive.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Jim, you are suggesting a rational angle to something not really rational to begin with (and from someone who lamented when I installed an engine!! LOL). That's not what this is about. Sailing offshore especially singlehanded (not my true preference by the way) is to the left on the rational scale. So the whole discussion is about degrees of what is or is not rational and or reasonable on a sliding scale of extreme caution on the right side to insanely reckless on the left side. On the extreme right you have a guy that won't even go sailing because sailboats are tippy. On the extreme left you have a guy that sails across the Atlantic on a boat made of seal skins sewn over a fame lashed together with leather thongs and tree vines and navigating with a lodestone. We are all on the scale somewhere. There is no right or wrong (though many people take exception to that position). We each sail for different reasons. Some for internal personally driven reasons while others (probably a pretty small group) for externally driven (maybe a stunt) reasons. I am willing to bet you are in a pretty small select category sailing a keel boat in Maine without an engine. Wouldn't it be safer and more prudent to have it aboard and not use it? Of course. But that's not what it's about for you.

I see sailing without an engine, in your boat or my boat, to the left of not have GPS (if one is competent with CN and I am not at this point) on that risk scale.
But the whole discussion about navigation is academic since I have GPS in my phone (pretty much all phones have a GPS these days), on an iPad, in a Garmin, on the AIS. There is essentially no escaping it. You would have to take all that stuff off the boat. I think the Golden Globe requires competitors to have a satellite comm device but it's in a sealed box that if opened disqualifies the participant with a few exceptions. There are probably all kinds of liability issues there.

One can always find reasons to add more technology if it's always framed as a safety issue. I refuse to be boxed in by the boating industrial complex as I see risk as a personal decision.

My point in all this is if you really want to experience non GPS sailing authentically you can't have it aboard. Such action positions the risk at place X on that previously mentioned scale. If you have that stuff available, even sealed, you are now to the right of X. If you have that technology open and running but not actively using it you're farther to the right of X. And how one feels about that is a personal decision.

Essentially my only concern about these kinds of decisions and discussions is the "why" behind them. If it's for internal personal reasons, I get it. If it's for external publicity reasons then that's something different. I'm not in to that, though I watched an interesting documentary where a team attempted to recreate Shackleton's epic voyage from Elephant Island to S Georgia in a converted life boat salvaged from the Endurance. That seemed like a reasonable attempt to see what it was like. Though they had radios, gps, goretex, and a safety boat. So while they recreated part of it they could not recreate the psychological experience that Shackleton and his men endured and why would they because we all know Shackleton would have taken his Garmin if he had one. Hahaha.

I shot Sirius last night. There were dark clouds behind the horizon line and I had to wait another 20 min to be able to pull it down past Water Island. So the horizon was not great as it was almost full dark. I still had to shoot between moored boats as well. Downwind at sea I might have been able to pull it off but up wind or reaching...forget it.

I ripped through the math in 10 min but when I went to HO 249 reduction tables I used the wrong declination page. I used Latitude Same as Declination (I am in north and celestial body is in north (like the sun)) when I should have used the contrary page because I am in north latitude but Sirius is in south declination. The nice thing is it's immediately obvious that you made a mistake because the corrected sight is more than 50 min off the observed sight. But it took me another 45 min of backtracking every step multiple times before I figured out what I did wrong. Gah!

I wonder if anyone else is interested in these esoteric discussions we are having. They would be fun at the bar though probably more animated. :roll:

Ugly wx forecasted for the coming weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

+1 for interested in esoteric discussions.

Life is too short for all the things I want to learn. CN is on the list.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I mentioned a week or so ago I ordered an external GPS antenna for my Vesper Watchmate 850 AIS. It arrived a few days ago along with a bracket suitable for vertically mounting the antenna on the aft stanchion. The Vesper tech rep I emailed recommend it be separated from any VHF antennas by a distance of 5'. I had wanted to install it on the starboard side stanchion right next to the VHF AIS antenna but to gain the correct separation I installed it on the port side.

I used a Blue Sea Cable Clamshell. The deck is solid fiberglass in that area so I drilled and tapped for #6-32 machine screws. I had to drill a few 5/8" diameter holes to route the coax to the AIS. The 5/8" diameter was necessary to accommodate the RG 58 male connector already installed in the coax. The 5/8" hole also allowed me to install a chafing guard for the coax as it past through each bulkhead.
The project took about 4 hours and much of that was pulling gear out of lockers.

When I am next ashore I will purchase some 1/4" black plastic flexible loom, cover the coax and zip tie it to the stanchion.

It used to take a little more than five minutes to locate and lock on to enough satellites for a fix. But now it grabs a gob of satellites in less than a minute and locks on to all of them. Hopefully, there will be no more "lost GPS signal" alarms in the middle of the night....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

It’s nice when a modification actually lives up to your expectations. I’m a big fan of AIS both coastal and offshore. Last summer I was headed into The Race on a flood tide while broad reaching in 20 knots. I had passed by a sub on the surface a mile back, he was nearly stationary. A tanker and a “Naval Unit” were headed toward me in the opposite direction. First the pilot on the tanker hailed me and I told him my intention was to stay clear of him while maintaining my course and speed, then the unit behind him hailed me and asked that I maintain course and speed till he was clear of The Race so as not to impede his scheduled rendezvous. AIS allowed them to hail me specifically and clarify my intentions rather than allowing ambiguity to enter the equation.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote: Jim, you are suggesting a rational angle to something not really rational to begin with (and from someone who lamented when I installed an engine!! LOL). That's not what this is about. Sailing offshore especially singlehanded (not my true preference by the way) is to the left on the rational scale. So the whole discussion is about degrees of what is or is not rational and or reasonable on a sliding scale of extreme caution on the right side to insanely reckless on the left side. On the extreme right you have a guy that won't even go sailing because sailboats are tippy. On the extreme left you have a guy that sails across the Atlantic on a boat made of seal skins sewn over a fame lashed together with leather thongs and tree vines and navigating with a lodestone. We are all on the scale somewhere. There is no right or wrong (though many people take exception to that position). We each sail for different reasons. Some for internal personally driven reasons while others (probably a pretty small group) for externally driven (maybe a stunt) reasons. I am willing to bet you are in a pretty small select category sailing a keel boat in Maine without an engine. Wouldn't it be safer and more prudent to have it aboard and not use it? Of course. But that's not what it's about for you.

I see sailing without an engine, in your boat or my boat, to the left of not have GPS (if one is competent with CN and I am not at this point) on that risk scale.
But the whole discussion about navigation is academic since I have GPS in my phone (pretty much all phones have a GPS these days), on an iPad, in a Garmin, on the AIS. There is essentially no escaping it. You would have to take all that stuff off the boat. I think the Golden Globe requires competitors to have a satellite comm device but it's in a sealed box that if opened disqualifies the participant with a few exceptions. There are probably all kinds of liability issues there.

One can always find reasons to add more technology if it's always framed as a safety issue. I refuse to be boxed in by the boating industrial complex as I see risk as a personal decision.

My point in all this is if you really want to experience non GPS sailing authentically you can't have it aboard. Such action positions the risk at place X on that previously mentioned scale. If you have that stuff available, even sealed, you are now to the right of X. If you have that technology open and running but not actively using it you're farther to the right of X. And how one feels about that is a personal decision.

Essentially my only concern about these kinds of decisions and discussions is the "why" behind them. If it's for internal personal reasons, I get it. If it's for external publicity reasons then that's something different. I'm not in to that, though I watched an interesting documentary where a team attempted to recreate Shackleton's epic voyage from Elephant Island to S Georgia in a converted life boat salvaged from the Endurance. That seemed like a reasonable attempt to see what it was like. Though they had radios, gps, goretex, and a safety boat. So while they recreated part of it they could not recreate the psychological experience that Shackleton and his men endured and why would they because we all know Shackleton would have taken his Garmin if he had one. Hahaha.

I shot Sirius last night. There were dark clouds behind the horizon line and I had to wait another 20 min to be able to pull it down past Water Island. So the horizon was not great as it was almost full dark. I still had to shoot between moored boats as well. Downwind at sea I might have been able to pull it off but up wind or reaching...forget it.

I ripped through the math in 10 min but when I went to HO 249 reduction tables I used the wrong declination page. I used Latitude Same as Declination (I am in north and celestial body is in north (like the sun)) when I should have used the contrary page because I am in north latitude but Sirius is in south declination. The nice thing is it's immediately obvious that you made a mistake because the corrected sight is more than 50 min off the observed sight. But it took me another 45 min of backtracking every step multiple times before I figured out what I did wrong. Gah!

I wonder if anyone else is interested in these esoteric discussions we are having. They would be fun at the bar though probably more animated. :roll:

Ugly wx forecasted for the coming weekend.
I find it interesting that you consider engineless sailing more adventurous than GPS-less sailing. I think it's the other way around for me, at least most of the time. If you know exactly where you are you can get away with a whole lot more stuff than if you only roughly know where you are. Here are a couple of tight maneuvers that I have no problem doing without an engine, but that would scare the bejeebers out of me to try without a GPS. The first is in Little Thorofare, by North Haven, Maine. Here's my track:
2021-06-16 Little Thorofare.jpg
Notice that 2' shoal. How close do you have to get to shore to avoid it? By eyeball that's a really tough call. With GPS (and prior verification that the 2' shoal is where it is supposed to be) it's no biggie under sail, as long as the sculling oar is handy.

The second is by Sheep Island, also near North Haven:
2021-07-03 Sheep Island.jpg
Tacking around the ledges, rocks, and the 3' shoal would be dicey work without a GPS.

On the other hand, there's one place I know where GPS does absolutely no good, but an engine is really helpful. That's the entrance to The Basin on Vinalhaven Island, Maine, where there are just a few feet on either side of the boat between a rock ledge and the main island, and where for all but 20 minutes per day it is either too shallow to pass or the current runs swiftly enough to wreck a boat.
2020-08-20 The Basin.jpg
Crazily enough, it is my ambition to one day transit that cut without an engine. If I can manage that Arietta would probably be the first engineless sailing vessel to negotiate that cut in over a century.

Part of me says that, with the exception of a few folks like the Pardeys, almost none of the sailors whose accomplishments we admire (from "old school" navigators like Magellan, Drake, Cook, Bligh or Shackleton, to more modern people like Matt Rutherford, Randall Reeves, and Ryan Finn) would have chosen to forego any new technology that helped achieve the goals of the expedition, so why should I do that? It also happens to be the mindset some of the lobster fishermen in Maine I have met who think all sailors are crazy. No rational person would be on the water in a sailboat when a powerboat can do the job so much better. Likewise with GPS vs celestial, it is crazy to use celestial except as a backup for when some sinister super-villain brings the entire GPS satellite constellation to its knees. The other part of me says that it is just so much more satisfying to do it the hard way, and that it is worth taking pride in my sailing accomplishments without an engine, and likewise if you choose to navigate without using a GPS. I guess the lobstermen are right, and all of us sailors are at least a little bit crazy.

Onto the celestial...those same name/different name tables can be easy to mix up. When you are navigating for real and wind up doing the same sights from the same tables over and over again with only minor differences as you change position or as the celestial body moves, just stick a few Post-It Notes on the pages for the tables you frequently use and write the celestial body name on the note to make it easy to go back to the right part of the book again. I look forward to following your progress!

Yep, you're right, good topics for conversation over a few beers. Until such a time, the board will have to suffice.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

You are right about that Jim. You may remember on my trip down I had a freighter pass about a mile astern. I just happened to come up the companionway ladder and see it. My AIS never went off because Idiot operator failed to turn the guard alarm on!!

I think the ID feature is really important. I see a lot of boats on the AIS target list that do not display their name, just an MMSI number. I don't have DSC (which allows you to digitally contact them by MMSI) so that's not very helpful as it seems impractical to hail them by MMSI. On the positive side, at least I know where they are, their heading, speed, relative bearing, and CPA. Plus, they have my info.

Not a lot going on today. Very light wind. Carnival is raging ashore. Did laundry this morning. Will spend the rest of the day reading probably. Might swim.

I am always learning something new about the Far Reach. Sometimes a big thing, sometimes a little thing. I was messing about last week and had the upper section of the companionway ladder off. Turns out it feels easier climbing up into the cockpit as well as down to the saloon without it. Kind of weird. I also immediately noticed the additional counter space. It surprised me. I have had it off for a few days since. Hmmmm....

I noticed on Celestaire's website they sell an inexpensive ($70) practice bubble horizon that fits my sextant. There is also a very expensive one for $950!!!...wow. The expensive one is apparently suitable for navigation on big stable decked ships.. Anyway the description for the practice bubble suggests you don't need an artificial horizon (such as a tray of liquid). It states you can use the bubble for sun and star shots. No DIP. That would be very handy for practice at home. I could practice as many different kinds of shots as my heart desires so that by the time I head offshore I have the mechanics down pat. Of course there is no substitute for shooting on a heaving boat. Which reminds me....

One thing vexing me a bit now is taking the shot without my reading glasses, capturing the exact time for which I need the glasses to see the time. I also need them to write down the time as well. It's a PITA. In The Sextant Handbook by Bruce Bauer (a great book by the way) there is a picture of him wearing a modified pair of readers by cutting the right lens frame off. Get it? I might have to try that....

Also, I have not refined the procedure for just having a way to actually write down the time when I am in the cockpit or on the companionway ladder taking the shot. I count 1001, 1002, etc till I can determine the time. A stop watch is fine if calibrated to GMT but then you have to recalibrate for a second shot and write down the reference time. Additionally you need to have paper and pencil ready without the wind or rain or spray interfering. This is a challenge unique to singlehanders. If you had a second person aboard they have the GMT watch and you call "mark." They write down the time and then they write down the sextant reading you call down. You can take a couple quick shots that way. Or a round of star shots. Bam, bam, bam. It's a bit of a kibuki dance singlehanding. I am still sorting out the best way for me to do it. So if any of y'all have done this I would enjoy hearing about it....
Last edited by John Stone on Apr 28th, '22, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hahaha we posted at the same time Jim! That's hilarious. What an awesome post. I'll read that a couple times. I agree with you. It's all a personal choice for what brings you the greatest satisfaction and pleasure. And the value of doing it the harder way changes over time. I am experiencing a bit of that now by adding the furler and maybe the fridge.

All good stuff.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:...
One thing vexing me a bit now is taking the shot without my reading glasses, capturing the exact time for which I need the glasses to see the time. I also need them to write down the time as well. It's a PITA. In The Sextant Handbook by Bruce Bauer (a great book by the way) there is a picture of him wearing a modified pair of readers by cutting the right lens frame off. Get it? I might have to try that....

Also, I have not refined the procedure for just having a way to actually write down the time when I am in the cockpit or on the companionway ladder taking the shot. I count 1001, 1002, etc till I can determine the time. A stop watch is fine if calibrated to GMT but then you have to recalibrate for a second shot and write down the reference time. Additionally you need to have paper and pencil ready without the wind or rain or spray interfering. This is a challenge unique to singlehanders. If you had a second person aboard they have the GMT watch and you call "mark." They write down the time and then they write down the sextant reading you call down. You can take a couple quick shots that way. Or a round of star shots. Bam, bam, bam. It's a bit of a kibuki dance singlehanding. I am still sorting out the best way for me to do it. So if any of y'all have done this I would enjoy hearing about it....
OK, here's an orthogonal thought: How about a reading monocle for the eye that isn't looking through the sextant?

Instead of pre-calibrating your stopwatch to GMT, try post-calibrating. That is, set the stopwatch to zero and use it in count-up mode. At the instant of the sight you click the stopwatch starter button (you can hold the stopwatch in your right hand pressed against the sextant handle and hit the button with your thumb), then compare the stopwatch time to the chronometer time at a convenient interval, for example 30 seconds or a minute after you clicked the start button. Then just subtract that interval from the chronometer to get the actual time of the sight. It's kind of like counting "one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two" but more accurate, especially if it takes more than a few seconds to put down the sextant and look at the chronometer. If you need to frequently take two-body sights you can always use two stopwatches. Alternatively, you could probably figure out how to do it with a stopwatch that can do lap times, but I've never tried that. The advantage of post-calibrating is the shorter setup time, in case the celestial body peeks out from behind a cloud and you have to get the sight right away.

A good way of not having to worry about wind or spray is to record your readings with a grease pencil on a smooth object that is heavy enough not to blow away in the wind (such as a SCUBA diver's slate). Or laminate your worksheets and keep them on a clipboard with a grease pencil tied to the clipboard with a string so you don't lose the pencil when the boat rolls. Before you laminate your worksheets you may want to make the print larger to accommodate the fact that a grease pencil leaves a fatter mark than a graphite pencil.

Lots of little details and tricks to work out! Enjoy the process!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:
John Stone wrote:...

OK, here's an orthogonal thought: How about a reading monocle for the eye that isn't looking through the sextant?

Instead of pre-calibrating your stopwatch to GMT, try post-calibrating. That is, set the stopwatch to zero and use it in count-up mode. At the instant of the sight you click the stopwatch starter button (you can hold the stopwatch in your right hand pressed against the sextant handle and hit the button with your thumb), then compare the stopwatch time to the chronometer time at a convenient interval, for example 30 seconds or a minute after you clicked the start button. Then just subtract that interval from the chronometer to get the actual time of the sight. It's kind of like counting "one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two" but more accurate, especially if it takes more than a few seconds to put down the sextant and look at the chronometer. If you need to frequently take two-body sights you can always use two stopwatches. Alternatively, you could probably figure out how to do it with a stopwatch that can do lap times, but I've never tried that. The advantage of post-calibrating is the shorter setup time, in case the celestial body peeks out from behind a cloud and you have to get the sight right away.

A good way of not having to worry about wind or spray is to record your readings with a grease pencil on a smooth object that is heavy enough not to blow away in the wind (such as a SCUBA diver's slate). Or laminate your worksheets and keep them on a clipboard with a grease pencil tied to the clipboard with a string so you don't lose the pencil when the boat rolls. Before you laminate your worksheets you may want to make the print larger to accommodate the fact that a grease pencil leaves a fatter mark than a graphite pencil.

Lots of little details and tricks to work out! Enjoy the process!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Jim Wikakaru--I sent you a PM.

Cutting the frame off on a pair of cheap readers does create a monocle for the left eye. So, exactly. I think a slate might be the way to go. Maybe like a diver's slate worn on inside left forearm. We seem to be thinking similarly. I have three time pieces on the FR. My ships bell clock is accurate enough for Capt Josh but not for my brain. So I have a G-Shock set to local time and another G-Shock set to GMT. I update them via WWV. So I could use a sharpie on the slate and read GMT off the wrist watch writing it down along with the hc for each celestial body. That might be the simplest way singlehanding.

Side story--For awhile I wore one contact lens. Just in my left non dominate eye for reading. Worked pretty good because my dominate right eye was still 20/20. But weirdly they reversed over the last two years. My dominate right eye is now a little weaker over long distance while my left is now 20/20. Neither eye works a damn for reading though. And, I decided against having a reading contact lens in my dominate eye. So the homemade monocle will prob have to be the solution. Such is life.

I reread your post above with the chart screen shots. That's some great sailing. What a lovely place to sail. So many bays and headlands. The current must be a force to be reckoned with. I have never sailed there of course but it looks like a lot of good headlands and prominent skerries to use with a hand bearing compass. What occurs to me is what you already know. Resections and predetermined limiting azimuths you don't cross. I think it would work but you'd almost have to have an autopilot or someway to let go the tiller to sight and compute the angles. So yeah, GPS is a godsend for a place like that.

I'll tell ya though that's pretty much what HW Tilman was doing sailing along the coast of W. Greenland in the 1950s and 60s in his 45' Bristol Pilot Cutter. Very careful DR plots. But he also had five people aboard. Singlehanding makes this kind of sailing an order of magnitude more challenging and of course increases the risk as well.

I have a couple charts of the Maine coast at home. Just mesmerizing to study. I sure hope to sail there one day.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:Cutting the frame off on a pair of cheap readers does create a monocle for the left eye. So, exactly. I think a slate might be the way to go. Maybe like a diver's slate worn on inside left forearm. We seem to be thinking similarly. I have three time pieces on the FR. My ships bell clock is accurate enough for Capt Josh but not for my brain. So I have a G-Shock set to local time and another G-Shock set to GMT. I update them via WWV. So I could use a sharpie on the slate and read GMT off the wrist watch writing it down along with the hc for each celestial body. That might be the simplest way singlehanding.

Side story--For awhile I wore one contact lens. Just in my left non dominate eye for reading. Worked pretty good because my dominate right eye was still 20/20. But weirdly they reversed over the last two years. My dominate right eye is now a little weaker over long distance while my left is now 20/20. Neither eye works a damn for reading though. And, I decided against having a reading contact lens in my dominate eye. So the homemade monocle will prob have to be the solution. Such is life.

I reread your post above with the chart screen shots. That's some great sailing. What a lovely place to sail. So many bays and headlands. The current must be a force to be reckoned with. I have never sailed there of course but it looks like a lot of good headlands and prominent skerries to use with a hand bearing compass. What occurs to me is what you already know. Resections and predetermined limiting azimuths you don't cross. I think it would work but you'd almost have to have an autopilot or someway to let go the tiller to sight and compute the angles. So yeah, GPS is a godsend for a place like that.

I'll tell ya though that's pretty much what HW Tilman was doing sailing along the coast of W. Greenland in the 1950s and 60s in his 45' Bristol Pilot Cutter. Very careful DR plots. But he also had five people aboard. Singlehanding makes this kind of sailing an order of magnitude more challenging and of course increases the risk as well.

I have a couple charts of the Maine coast at home. Just mesmerizing to study. I sure hope to sail there one day.
Somehow when I read your description of cutting the glasses I envisioned cutting the lenses, not the frames, so you would have 1½ lenses (with the half lens kind of like the way a sextant mirror is half clear half mirror) instead of one lens. Yep, cutting the glasses in half is really just a monocle but with an ear piece and nose piece to prop it up. Or you could pop out one lens of a pair of glasses so you have two ear supports. That assumes you have large enough frames--like aviator glasses--for the telescope to go through instead of small frames like the cheap pharmacy reading glasses.

If your desire is to use traditional navigation techniques, Maine is Mecca: it is one of the few places I have been with enough coastal features to have frequent fixes and to get to use lots of different techniques (assuming you can see them through the fog, which adds another level of difficulty altogether). When we first cruised Maine back in the early 1990s the only electronic navigation aid we had was Loran, and while it had good repeatable accuracy (that is, getting back to a place you had already been), it was not so good for absolute accuracy (that is, getting to a place based on it's lat/lon or charted position), and traditional navigation was our mainstay. But nowadays we have a much smaller boat with no nav station, so chart plotting is difficult; add to that being single-handed or short-handed with no autopilot and we are already too busy to do proper traditional navigation. Plus, in coastal waters a traditional navigator would spend most of his time at the chart table working out all those things, and I'd rather be on deck enjoying the sailing. I can see the draw of making offshore passages without GPS, where you only have to plot your position once or twice a day until you near the coast, but to do it for coastal sailing is way too much work for me. (This from the guy who sculls or tows his boat under oar power when the wind dies.) While it would be a great challenge, I think for the kind of sailing I do it would detract from rather than add to the experience of sailing.

All that said, I still fully support you in your celestial navigation quest.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Well the "ugly" wx forecasted has not materialized yet. Just a lot of cloud cover, very light wind, high humidity, and little rain. I'm all set up for max collection of rainwater but so far managed a mere three gallons. I was hoping to catch 30 gallons based on the forecast. But the rain is forecasted for another 24 hours so let's see what happens.

Along with a really great book on sailing to the high latitudes in the 1950s and 60s by HW Tilman I have also started reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. I also picked up a copy of Letter from a Stoic by Seneca. I read parts of both these books in college as a Classics major but as is typically the case for most youth I was just too young and inexperienced in living to really understand the wisdom and insights they contained. But now...a different story. I have been developing a curiosity about classical stoicism. It's not what most people think. Anyway, I ran across this jewel on a website I have been frequenting:

"The Stoics knew that this was a kind of death. That as soon as we stop growing, we start dying. Or at least, we become more vulnerable to the swings of Fate and Fortune. Seneca talked over and over again about the importance of adversity, of not only embracing the struggle life throws at us but actively seeking out that difficulty, so you can be stronger and better and more prepared. A person who has never been challenged, he said, who always gets their way, is a tragic figure. They have no idea what they are capable of. They are not even close to fulfilling their potential."

That approach to living has always resonated with me and it seems to fit nicely with the kind of sailing I, and many other on the forum, seem to enjoy. If we make it too easy then what's the point? How easy or hard we need to make it is of course at the heart of what we have been discussing. No one size fits all.

For the next day or so I am more or less wx bound on the Far Reach. I'll read, see how much water I can collect, and maybe bake some bread.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I love Senica.
". . . Of all people only those are at leisure who make time for philosophy, only those are really alive. For they not only keep a good watch over their own lifetimes, but they annex every age to theirs. All the years that have passed before them are added to their own. Unless we are very ungrateful, all those distinguished founders of holy creeds were born for us and prepared for us a way of life. By the toil of others we are led into the presence of things which have been brought from darkness into light. From them you can take whatever you wish: it will not be their fault if you do not take your fill from them. What happiness, what a fine old age awaits the man who has made himself a client of these! He will have friends whose advice he can ask on the most important or the most trivial matters, whom he can consult daily about himself, who will tell him the truth without insulting him and praise him without flattery, who will offer him a pattern on which to model himself."

Enjoy your leisure time.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

tjr818 wrote:I love Senica.
". . . Of all people only those are at leisure who make time for philosophy, only those are really alive. For they not only keep a good watch over their own lifetimes, but they annex every age to theirs. All the years that have passed before them are added to their own. Unless we are very ungrateful, all those distinguished founders of holy creeds were born for us and prepared for us a way of life. By the toil of others we are led into the presence of things which have been brought from darkness into light. From them you can take whatever you wish: it will not be their fault if you do not take your fill from them. What happiness, what a fine old age awaits the man who has made himself a client of these! He will have friends whose advice he can ask on the most important or the most trivial matters, whom he can consult daily about himself, who will tell him the truth without insulting him and praise him without flattery, who will offer him a pattern on which to model himself."

Enjoy your leisure time.
That's outstanding Tim. Thanks for sharing that. Insightful. Thoughtful. Useful.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

We still have not had any significant rain. So, I took Sweat Pea into the marina this morning and bought 25 gallons of water for $4 (it will probably pour down tonight). Then, I topped the tanks off pouring the water through the homemade Baja filter.

A friend and I went over to Hassle Island to watch the powerboat races on this last day of Carnival. Hassle Island is pretty neat. It has the remains of a marine railway established in 1840. It has the oldest intact Bolton steam boiler driven winch in the Western Hemisphere. The shop floors and some of the brick buildings are still there. Some amazing equipment. Was used in WW II to repair minesweepers. The National Park acquired the land at some point and did a lot of work to open it up to the public...but suddenly stopped. Not too long ago (2-3 years ago?). Just walked off and left tools and machine equipment, like a bobcat, to rust. Wasted tax dollars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creque_Marine_Railway

Anyway look at this anchor near the seawall. I have to wonder if it has been there for 100 years. A dead tree grew up through the shank eye as well as a big shackle. Amazing. "Rust never sleeps...."

Possible window for departure this week. I'll know in another day or so.