typhoon weekender shroud specs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

radsailor

typhoon weekender shroud specs

Post by radsailor »

I have asked a rigger for an estimate on replacing the shrouds on my 1971 Typhoon Weekender.
He replied asking for shroud length and pin size.

Anyone know these specs ?
Thanks in advance.
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Re: typhoon weekender shroud specs

Post by rjnale »

Typhoon Daysailer owner here.
The standing rigging measurements for your Ty Weekender can be found in the manual. There's a PDF of the 1981 Manual that has Typhoon rigging specs listed on page 94.
You can find the manual link on the CDSOA home page, left side nav bar "where to look", to "Groups and Publications", to "online manuals and brochures". You'll see the 1981 Manual listed.
I'm thinking Pin size refers to hole size in the chainplates on deck and mast tangs to attach the rigging to with a clevis pin. I think the clevis pins are 1/4" dia on my rigging?! But not sure.
I would remove the stays with the turnbuckles and give them to the rigger. Or send pictures of turnbuckles and how they attach and how the stays attach to the mast and all the measurements you've taken of the wire and turnbuckles and include the specs from the manual for comparison. The old stays have stretched. Having all the measurements can help get it done right.
Having him fabricate new stays that are too long or short because of a lack of info and understanding your boat could be costly.
Thoughts from the group?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

If you were satisfied with the amount of adjustment left on the turnbuckles after the rig had been tuned then your best option is to remove all your standing rigging and have the rigger duplicate it. Then it is the riggers job to correct anything which does not fit perfectly.
Now is the time to correct any problems, such as a turnbuckle which had no adjustment left or a shroud which had a toggle (or anything else) used to lengthen it.
If you provide dimensions to a rigger and anything does not fit properly you are left holding the bag, financially, …..garbage in, garbage out.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Peter Young
Location: Typhoon Weekender, Indefatigable, Burlington VT (Hull #203)

Post by Peter Young »

'71 Weekender owner here- I have found that the best results come from sending the rigger the old shrouds and generally relying on the rigger for the specifics of fabrication (and measurements). I really didn't want to get measurements wrong....

Good experience with Rigging Only in Fairhaven, Mass.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I ALSO HAVE A WEEKENDER - 1976 - I had the shrouds, backstay and forestay replaced by Rigging Only. They said to tension the rigging, mark the threads then remove all rigging, identifying where they came from and send them to them. They did a fantastic job in a short time. Opt for open turnbuckles so you can see where the threads are and so that you can make easy adjustments.