CD30 depth/ speed/ temp location

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jbenagh
Salem, MA

CD30 depth/ speed/ temp location

Post by jbenagh »

I'm upgrading CC's depth/ speed/ temp sensor. The current ones are in the middle of the cockpit locker where I always worry it will get hit by something. The speed sensor is in a v berth cubby, ruining valuable storage space. I'm thinking of relocating the combined single sensor under the galley, about 8 inches from the sink drain. I never store anything in there so no damage worries. I'll glass over the unused openings. Any thoughts on that?
Jeff
Jim Walsh

Re: CD30 depth/ speed/ temp location

Post by Jim Walsh »

If it’s an Airmar unit they have specific recommendations for installation. When I upgraded I didn’t have room for an all-in-one so I replaced the existing sensors with new sensors. The DST800 and 810 were recommended for my electronics.
https://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallG ... 435-01.pdf
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: CD30 depth/ speed/ temp location

Post by jbenagh »

Thanks Jim! I got the Airmar DST800 and also the i70s display. This will let it all talk to the autopilot to track a course to the wind. That was very handy sailing last summer while we learned to set up the windvane. In my case it's without a windvane right now.
It appears the manual only says near admiships and away from anything causing turbulence. Existing depth and speed senders are each about 8in from a thru hull and this location is also that far so I should be OK.
Jeff