BRONZE OVER STAINLESS

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

BRONZE OVER STAINLESS

Post by John Stone »

I put in a lot of effort to eliminate as much stainless as possible on the Far Reach during the long rebuild. Some SS can't be helped. My SS snap shackles will get surface rust after being bathed in salt water. The Reflecks heater deck cap as well, though it supposed to be 316. SS shackles get some rust. Turnbuckle toggles. Etc. They will all clean up but it's additional work. The Cape Horn Windvane is 316 but almost never gets any surface rust.

I noticed this today on our dinghy. The SS rudder gudgeon on the transom of Sweet Pea is the original from the builder Eddy and Duff. It has always been quick to acquire rust. I replaced some of the dinghy hardware with bronze over the years. Look how beautiful the patina on the silicon bronze nuts juxtaposed the rust on the SS gudgeon. Sad.

I have been looking for bronze pintels and gudgeons for the dinghy rudder. It's a project still on the list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: BRONZE OVER STAINLESS

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

John,

You can also get nice bronze pintles and gudgeons from the nice folks at Marshall Marine in Dartmouth, Mass. Find them at http://www.marshallcat.com They produce a nice 16-foot catboat (I own one) that has the hardware you're looking for in bronze.

Ken in Maine
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Jim and Ken. I'll check those out.

Here is a picture of the jam cleats I installed on each side of the cabin top for my preventer. I installed those in 2018 I think. I wanted bronze jam cam cleats but they are very expensive. I have a Rineke and Son captured bronze jam cleat on the bow sprit. Super nice but insanely expensive. These are Schaefer. I called the tech rep and talked to them and though the cleated housing is anodized aluminum the fasteners go through a plastic sleeve/grommet. So, no contact between the bronze and aluminum. I think the verdigris on the fasteners looks 1000 times better than if the fasteners were SS (with some surface rust no doubt). Have not had a bit of trouble with them. Little things like that can add a lot of visual beauty for very little cost. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Anyway, onward, as they say.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Agree completely with bronze over stainless if possible !

But for the unavoidable stainless; keeping a pound or two of powder form oxalic acid around is highly advised on every boat (its really crystals). Once or twice a year with an old toothbrush and a cup or bowl - I mix up a few ounces of powder (just enough water to make a paste about like mustard, the crystals will not need to melt entirely) and I just scrub on where rust is appearing on stainless - esp stanchions/bases, turnbuckles, rigging, screw crowns etc Does not seem to bother grp, paint or varnish. Just rinse after letting sit for 5-10 min. You'll be surprised !

I found the damp powder paste easier to apply and have stick to the intended target compared to all the liquid versions and far more economical. Takes me about an hour to do my 27 feet of lifelines, stanchions, pulpit. Only use a toothbrush or small, soft bristle brush. Never wire. Wear rubber gloves, eye protection and clothes that don't matter.

Diluted in water is great for blackened teak.

cheers
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hey Fred that's a good tip. What is the source of the powered form? Barkeepers Friend or something else?

John
Keith

Post by Keith »

Oxalis acid works great on removing stains in the gel coat. Not as a paste but diluted in water per the instructions on the container. Just make sure you rinse it off thoroughly to stop the activity.

Keith
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

John, oxalic acid is available in the hardware store here. It's in a box in the paint section. Or in the section with paint thinner, etc. I can't remember exactly.
Jeff
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

jbenagh wrote:John, oxalic acid is available in the hardware store here. It's in a box in the paint section. Or in the section with paint thinner, etc. I can't remember exactly.
Jeff
I have it on board in liquid and gel. Used it many times on SS and gelcoat but never tried it as a paste. I'll look for it and give it a try. Thanks.
Keith

Post by Keith »

You can also over pay for it at west marine as I did
0E977D88-33AF-4912-A4CA-16EFBF20367B.jpeg
Keith
Khaos13

Post by Khaos13 »

I worked in the USVI (St. Thomas) for a charter company that had 20 Morgan 41's. The "stainless" stanchions, etc. would get rust stains on them (thus the name stain LESS) and we sprayed them with Ospho and let it sit. It seemed to work best in sunlight. Afterwards, with just a touch of a ScotchBrite pad, they would shine like new. You have to watch how it affects painted surfaces (like the name on the transom) but it works great. These boats were sailing 30 weeks a year. I was there for 4 years and that's how we did it.
CD 30 MkII Hull # 8
Ft. Lauderdale, FL