Not a CD but...well worth watching!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Seaweed2

Not a CD but...well worth watching!

Post by Seaweed2 »

I am not one to post video references but this one caught my attention. Might be one of the best I've seen. It's a Mystic Seaport film made about a 4 masted barque, The Peking, rounding Cape Horn. The sails alone were over three acres of cloth. It was filmed in 1928 and I believe it was narrated in 1980 by one of the sailors serving on the vessel. The narration is at least as good as the filming! The shipmates were truly in love with the sea, and as such, were literally the salt of the sea. It's 37 minutes long so plan ahead because once you start watching you will be compelled to see it to the end. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/ZLzBDhilDL0
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester
Paul D.

Re: Not a CD but...well worth watching!

Post by Paul D. »

This is a classic of nautical historical film and every person who calls themself a sailor really should watch it. There is not much actual footage of tall ships like that and the narration of Irving Johnson from his post as old sea dog looking back on his youth is priceless! Two thumbs up for sure and I am so glad it's freely available on You Tube. I used to have to get it from the library and wait.

The Peking, after years in the US, is still afloat and now a museum ship in Hamburg in a newly developing program that should be completed in the next few years.
Paul
CDSOA Member