Slip or mooring fees

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben Miller

Re: Slip or mooring fees

Post by Ben Miller »

John Stone wrote:Ben
My wife and I drove our jeep back from camping on the Keweenaw Peninsula in early Oct and skirted along the bay. That whole area was spectacular. I had never seen it before. In fact all of Michigan was very scenic and much more bucolic than I anticipated. But the coast pulled me in like a Star Trek tractor beam. It was stunning.

What other benefits come with your mooring?
I'm in total agreement with the charms of this corner of the country. I'm lucky to be from here. A lot of other people have been discovering it lately, which is sending housing prices up faster than my mooring costs. But that doesn't diminish its appeal as a place to visit.

The mooring doesn't come with much else. There are some basic racks for dinghy storage and a little ramp of sorts for launching them. The marina also has some facilities (bathroom, showers, a couple of grills) that I rarely use. I don't have to pay to use the ramp when I'm launching or pulling my boat and my parking is free. That's about it.

The alternative (besides a slip) would be a pirate mooring. There are quite a few of them in the southwest corner of West Bay. But then I'd have to deal with the hassle of installing and maintaining the mooring and dealing with my dinghy, and the Typhoon wouldn't enjoy the protection of the marina's breakwall. All in all, I'm willing to pay the price, at least for now.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I have a town issued mooring permit (Barnstable MA) that is $110/yr. Mooring service is $220/yr ($110 spring/$110 fall). Winter storage, haul in/out, mast step/ unstep and mileage to boat yard (1 mile) is $1885. I do all my own work in the yard and electric/water is included.

Keith
christhemacguy

Post by christhemacguy »

In Saugatuck, Michigan, at Tower Marina, I pay $100/foot per season for a floating dock with no water or electric.
It is a nice clean marina with a pool and party room. Lots of parking too.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

christhemacguy wrote:In Saugatuck, Michigan, at Tower Marina, I pay $100/foot per season for a floating dock with no water or electric.
It is a nice clean marina with a pool and party room. Lots of parking too.
Wow! we pay $7 per foot per month, electric and water included. No pool, the place with floating docks was 3k per year, water, your own meter and pool
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Scituate moorings just went up from 6 to 8 $ a foot(reasonable)
Town marina $110 a foot(reasonable)
Private marinas(2) $200 a foot with waiting list(ouch)
$1100 for spring and fall splash and haul including mast
Now looking at new rule yesterday that requires my 8 foot inflatable to have 1 million liability that the town marina’s insurance company is requiring!!!
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Northeast Harbor town marina, Maine.

Mooring for 31' CD: $2300/season

Slips: $3.05/night

Elec: $7:50/night ($30 amps).

Great marina in a one of Maine's loveliest towns on the quiet part of Mt. Desert Island. Outstanding service by the crew and harbormasters. Public gardens and free bus service thru Acadia National Park within walking distance.

We've been here every summer since $2014. Love it.

Cheers,
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

jen1722terry wrote: Slips: $3.05/night
Is that actually $3.05 per night, per foot?
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

yes
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Guessing those Northeast Harbor rates are for nonresidents? Here in Camden it's $165 for a mooring (up to 30') if you're a town resident, otherwise $320.

Still, those NE Harbor rates are off the charts for town moorings. I know NEH is extraordinarily affluent (even by Camden standards!) but surprised the town would charge so much. Must be a few working people left in town who own boats.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Well I won't be sailing to those places anytime soon.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Ken, the harbor is great. Our Sea Scout Resolution is based there, the Hinckley Bermuda 40…. A friend is now Harbormaster there….

I enjoy South Benson though…I’m on F dock an fresh water access is nice, but backing in without a neighbor to starboard can be tough…;)

keneasley wrote:Here in Fairfield, CT: $450 each year for a town mooring that includes a dinghy dock.
The mooring includes access to a nearby yacht club dock that provides fuel, pump out, and water.
It is a wonderful and sheltered small harbor - Southport Harbor.
I was on the waiting list for 10 years before a spot became available and that was only because of some moorings being added, otherwise a typical wait would be 15 years plus.
Felicity_July_2020_1.jpg
The town marina would be about $1,800 per year including electric. A really nice marina with fuel, water, pump out, and ships store. This was 10 years on the waiting list as well. My spot came up but I prefer the mooring in the harbor.

The area's commercial marinas charge about $150 per foot for the Summer (April through November).
We (painfully) paid for that for a few years for our former boat - Sea Sprite 23.

For the off season I pay $2,100 ($72 per foot) for haul out, power wash, land storage, and relaunch in Spring. Mast unstepping not included that would be $25 per foot of mast each way (sep. charges for up and down). I don't often drop the mast. The marina provides water and power and you are free to do pretty much any work that you like.
Bottom_Paint_1.JPG
I'm fortunate to live in a town that provides exceptionally good town moorings and a town marina.
The town provides Winter wet storage at the marina for $500 for the off season but I've yet to try that.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I count my blessings every day. I'm one of the very few who are fortunate to have my own dock and moorings. Mooring fees are $45 each for the season to the Town of South Bristol. I own them and maintain them. The attached photo is from the NE Fleet Maine Cruise, when I hosted one of the stops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton