Trolling motor speed test results on a Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wikakaru

Trolling motor speed test results on a Typhoon

Post by wikakaru »

I just completed testing a Newport Vessels NV-62 (62LB thrust) trolling motor on my Typhoon, and thought I'd share the results with the board.

I selected the NV-62 because it was the largest 12-volt saltwater trolling motor I could find that also had a long (36") shaft. My intent is to use it as auxiliary propulsion on my CD22, where it will be kept stowed below and where it won't besmirch the beautiful lines of the boat when the motor is not in use. Actually, if I'm telling the truth, my intent is to keep the trolling motor stored and never, ever use it. Either way, since it has to be stored below, any gasoline or even propane propulsion system was out of the question. Another option for the job would have been a Torqeedo Travel 1103 Long Shaft, but at $2,700 for the Torqeedo vs $400 for the NV-62, it just wasn't worth the money, especially since it is something I hope to never use.

I tested the trolling motor on the Typhoon first to see if it would even move the smaller boat. Next summer I will publish results of how it does on the 22. Without further ado, here's what I found:

The NV-62 has 5 "throttle" settings on the handle. Here are the speeds the trolling motor pushed our Typhoon in flat water and nearly calm wind:

Speed 1: 1.0-1.2 knots
Speed 2: 1.4-1.5 knots
Speed 3: 2.0-2.1 knots
Speed 4: 2.5-2.6 knots
Speed 5: 3.4-3.5 knots

Newport Vessels only publish the maximum power consumption, not consumption at each "throttle" setting. According to them, the NV-62 draws a maximum of 696 watts. I have a Trojan Group 27 lead-acid battery with a rated capacity of 105 amp hours, so at maximum power consumption and allowing a 50% draw-down from full charge, that should give me about an hour of motoring at maximum speed. At slower speeds it should last much longer, but there is no telling exactly how long with the information I have.

For comparison, my Yamaha 2.5 HP gasoline-powered outboard will push the Typhoon at about 4.9 knots in calm conditions at wide-open-throttle (WOT). My Tohatsu 6 HP outboard will push the boat in excess of 5.5 knots.

As another point of comparison, I can scull my CD22 at about 1.5 knots, or tow it by rowing the dinghy at around 2 knots, so I expect that at Speed 3 the NV-62 will move my CD22 about as fast as I can scull, which is what I am after. As I said, I will confirm that next summer and post the results.

One final remark I'd like to make about the trolling motor is how quiet it is. Though I haven't used a Torqeedo, in the online video reviews I have watched, the Torqeedo makes a kind of high-pitched whiny sound that I found a little annoying. The NV-62 is truly silent.

Here's a photo of the test setup on my Typhoon:
IMG_3532.JPG
I hope this information is useful to anyone considering whether a trolling motor will meet their auxiliary propulsion needs.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ben Miller

Re: Trolling motor speed test results on a Typhoon

Post by Ben Miller »

Interesting results! Thanks for documenting them. I've been using a Minn Kota Endura Max 55 lb thrust trolling motor for several years now. I haven't recorded my speed as carefully as you have, but wide-open "throttle" will get me to around 3 knots, which lines up pretty well with your results. Yes, they're very quiet. Just a nice, barely-noticeable whirrrrrrr.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Thanks, Ben! I saw your thread from last year (http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... 0&p=211092).

I think the setup on my CD22 will be fairly similar to your Typhoon's. Tim Lackey is adding a 50 watt solar panel to Arietta's companionway turtle as part of this year's winter refit (in fact, he started the installation yesterday https://lackeysailing.com/arietta-phase-2-27/). That is in addition to the little 15-watt panel on the aft lazarette lid that I installed back in 2019. A Victron MPPT 75-15 will control the output. Fortunately, the CD22 has a bit more real estate for solar panels than the Typhoon.

I'm hoping to never use the trolling motor, but if I do, I anticipate that the 65 watts of solar panels should generate 16-25 amp hours a day (depending on which rule of thumb I use for the calculations) and recharge the battery in a day or three.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

I think you'll be very happy with it, assuming that you actually ever use it, and probably even if you don'! :wink: My setup has worked great since I put it in place. Pushing the Typhoon in and out of the marina only uses a small portion of my battery on any given trip and the panel replenishes it easily in a day or two. I could get by with a smaller panel and battery, but I don't mind having the extra juice in reserve, and now that I'm not lugging the battery off the boat to charge it, the size of that doesn't matter so much to me.

If the Typhoon was big enough for a permanently-mounted solar panel then it would be perfect. As it is, I have to stow the panel below before I sail and then pull it out once I'm moored again. Not a huge deal, and you've solved that on Arietta.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Ben Miller wrote:If the Typhoon was big enough for a permanently-mounted solar panel then it would be perfect. As it is, I have to stow the panel below before I sail and then pull it out once I'm moored again. Not a huge deal, and you've solved that on Arietta.
I've always thought that my Typhoon could benefit from a companionway turtle like the CD22 has. We tend to get a fair amount of water that makes its way into the cabin from the forward edge of the companionway hatch. If you did such a project, it would be an ideal place to permanently mount a solar panel. The only problem I can see is that it might interfere with hinging the mast down. Still, it's something to think about.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

RE Electric outboard motor

I have a Travel 1103 CS. In flat water with no current I can get up to 4kts at full throttle. The throttle is not "stopped" but continuously variable (not sure if that is the correct terminology)
which offers very precise control in docking.
I have motored against 20kts of headwind going down the channel to my marina and at full throttle I get about 2.5-3 kts. I was very pleasantly surprised that the motor did
that well in those conditions.

I got the short shaft because at the time I needed to motor, West Marine did not have a long shaft available. I would recommend the long shaft, but if I sit as far astern as possible, I can
keep the prop mostly under water in ~ 2-3 foot chop.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Thanks for posting your observations with the Torqeedo!

At least with the short-shaft Torqeedo you don't have to worry about the cooling water intake coming out of the water and damaging the engine as can happen with gasoline outboards.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

wikakaru wrote:I just completed testing a Newport Vessels NV-62 (62LB thrust) trolling motor on my Typhoon, and thought I'd share the results with the board.

I tested the trolling motor on the Typhoon first to see if it would even move the smaller boat. Next summer I will publish results of how it does on the 22. Without further ado, here's what I found:

The NV-62 has 5 "throttle" settings on the handle. Here are the speeds the trolling motor pushed our Typhoon in flat water and nearly calm wind:

Speed 1: 1.0-1.2 knots
Speed 2: 1.4-1.5 knots
Speed 3: 2.0-2.1 knots
Speed 4: 2.5-2.6 knots
Speed 5: 3.4-3.5 knots

I finally had a chance to test the trolling motor on my CD22 a few days ago. It wasn't an ideal day--the wind was patchy and gusting 10-15 knots at times--but I tried to get the boat close in the lee of the land and take the readings in the lulls. I think they are pretty close to what I would see in calm conditions.

Speed 1: 0.9-1.0 knots
Speed 2: 1.1-1.2 knots
Speed 3: 1.4-1.5 knots
Speed 4: 1.7 knots
Speed 5: 2.2-2.3 knots

My goal is to be able to go as fast with the trolling motor as I can scull with my oar, so it looks like it will work for me. Actually, what I mean to say is that it looks like it will work for The Admiral--she wants it on board in case something happens to me and there is no wind. Me, I'm happy with the oar.

Here's a photo of me with the old gasoline outboard mounted on the dinghy so I can ferry it ashore. Look at that smile! Do you think I am happy to be rid of the outboard?
IMG_8209.JPG
And here's Arietta without an outboard on the transom any longer, just the base for the removable outboard bracket. The removable transom bracket was the best compromise I could come up with that was low enough for the prop to reach the water (that's why I'm not using a removable Spartan deck bracket) and at least partially removable to be not too ugly.
20220801_110251a.jpg
Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.