How to determine where a leak is coming from

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

LSD87

How to determine where a leak is coming from

Post by LSD87 »

This is 1st post on the board.

I bought a 1982 CD22 last August and water enters the boat when it rains. It appears that water is in the chain locker area, the cabin sole feels damp forward, the settee on the port side along the bottom feels damp and soft and shows signs of delimitation. I'm able to pump it out of the bilge. The boat survey showed some elevated moisture on the port side deck at about the hatch and some elevated moisture in the cockpit sole near the companionway. Both areas show some crazing and cracking.

I'm a 1st time boat owner and I'm learning to sail, took ASA 101. My boat repair experience is nonexistent. The boat is currently shrink wrapped on the hard for winter storage.

Thought it might be a good idea to track down the leaks and then start there. My initial thought was to start with the stansions but I need some advise as I really don't know anyone.

Love the vessel but I don't want to ignore this for too much longer.

I'll attach some more pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dawson
CD22
LSD87

Re: How to determine where a leak is coming from

Post by LSD87 »

Another couple of pictures from after a storm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dawson
CD22
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

This one is under the cockpit sole, behind the battery,
Steve Dawson
CD22
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi,

One of the great things about this board is that someone else has had your problem and solved it.
Go to the search function and type in "leaks". You'll now have winter's reading to get you up the learning curve.

Best of luck,

Tony Jeske
Silvergate YC, San Diego
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Another technique: try using a dry erase marker to make several lines where the leak might cross. You'll see some pretty clear lines of water dripping down. Then it's easy to clean up.
Odds are good that you need to rebed nearly everything (that was my experience) but at least you'll have some solid evidence about what you really need to do.
Jeff
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

Thank you Jeff. Good idea. This I can do! Many have suggested I start with the stanchions. Are these accessible from underneath without surgery?
Steve Dawson
CD22
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

Anthony P. Jeske wrote:Hi,

One of the great things about this board is that someone else has had your problem and solved it.
Go to the search function and type in "leaks". You'll now have winter's reading to get you up the learning curve.

Best of luck,

Tony Jeske
Silvergate YC, San Diego
Thank you Tony. I bought the vessel from a forum member who spoke very highly of the board. I’m quite sure I’ll find plenty of reading although the winters in the Hudson Valley of New York State are quite long…
Steve Dawson
CD22