CD26 jib lead track size

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Coosaw

CD26 jib lead track size

Post by Coosaw »

On my 26, the jib sheet track has a 3/4" x 1/8" profile. The jib sheet block that I have been using with this track is a Schaefer spring loaded stand up block with Delrin sheaves. Three years ago I had the sheaves replaced and now the sheaves have broken again. I am thinking that this system is too light to stand up to the loads of the working jib. Schaefer does not offer a block in a size to fit my track with alum. sheaves

My questions to other CD26 owners are 1. have you experienced similar problems? 2. What size track and jib sheet block is your boat equipped with?

Thanks,
Rick
mgphl52

Re: CD26 jib lead track size

Post by mgphl52 »

While they don't show any 3/4" track blocks in their catalog, you might try asking GarhauerMarine.com if they can build such.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

When I purchased my CD 26, I figured those jib sheet blocks on the deck tracks were undersized for any sail bigger than an 85% jib. I think your experience tends to verify my guess. The 1986 product brochure for a CD 26 (available on this site) shows a 100% jib being used with the block and track like yours. If your sail is any larger than that, you may want to consider a second track on the toe rail with sheets led outboard of the shrouds. That's my current arrangement on a 125% jib and it works just fine to windward. Hope this helps,
Ken
Coosaw

Post by Coosaw »

Ken,
Thank you for your suggestion of adding an additional track. Did you through bolt the track or just screwed it to the toe rail?
I'm also considering changing from the stand up block/slider to a slider with a bail and then adding an alum sheave blocks.
FYI, my jib is 100% of fore triangle.
Rick