Managing Fuel Over The Winter

Discussions about Cape Dory powerboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

LeeMurdy

Managing Fuel Over The Winter

Post by LeeMurdy »

With winter upon us, I was able to knock out one of the many winterizing jobs on our Cape Dory 24 Trawler, which was pumping the diesel fuel tank. I know the debates over whether to empty a fuel tank or fill it over the winter. Because we store our boat indoors, climate controlled, for us the answer is to remove the remaining fuel and put it in the truck and tractor. In the spring I re-fill with fresh diesel. This practice has worked well for us over a number of seasons. Next jobs include repacking the trailer wheel bearings, installing new fuel filters and, the hardest job of all, replacing the raw water impeller. Very difficult to reach the Westerbeke rear facing raw water pump, but doable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jfischgrund

Re: Managing Fuel Over The Winter

Post by jfischgrund »

You are lucky to be able to store indoors, so it makes sense to drain the tank. I store outside (a Cape Dory 27) so I have to top it off when it is hauled. Nice to see a 24'.