jib lead block sheaves

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Coosaw

jib lead block sheaves

Post by Coosaw »

In 2018 and again this month I have had to replace broken sheaves in both port and starboard jib lead blocks. The manufacturer of the blocks confirmed that I am using the proper size blocks for my working jib and also said that my problem was very unusual.Over the last three years I have day sailed my Cape Dory 26 approx. 30 times when the jib was used. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so how did you solve it.
Rick
Jim Walsh

Re: jib lead block sheaves

Post by Jim Walsh »

Make and model of the blocks would help and a photo could also be useful. I’ve never had a similar issue and I’ve never heard a similar complaint. Something is surely amiss. Any reputable brand would have replaced them and probably been interested in their return so a root cause analysis could be performed. They would not want their reputation besmirched due to failures in the field.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Coosaw

Post by Coosaw »

Jim,
Thank you for your response.
The blocks have been returned to the mfg. and I am waiting to see what action they take--hopefully a no charge replacement of the sheaves. I did not disclose the name of the manufacturer on purpose but they are well known and reputable.
Rick
Coosaw

Post by Coosaw »

Jim,
Thank you for your response.
The blocks have been returned to the mfg. and I am waiting to see what action they take--hopefully a no charge replacement of the sheaves. I did not disclose the name of the manufacturer on purpose but they are well known and reputable.
Rick