Advice on removing broken pawl spring

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robwm

Advice on removing broken pawl spring

Post by robwm »

Servicing my winches I've run into a small problem .... one of the pawls has a spring that has one broken off "arm/leg" (?) As a result I am having a problem removing the pawl from its seat/channel so that I can replace the spring and clean off the pawl. The pawl actually works engaging and snapping back freely, however I am worried that this might not last long and would like to make it right.

Again only one of the arms/legs of the spring is accessible the other one broke off and doesn't show; this prevents the pawl from sliding out of its sleeve/channel. Right now my only choice seems to be to grasp and pull on the remaining leg hoping that it will allow me to pull the spring out; however I worry that if the remaining leg breaks off then I have an even worse issue on my hands.

Any advice/trick on best way to remove the spring? thanks in advance,

Robert,
1982/1983 CD22
Lakeway, TX
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Advice on removing broken pawl spring

Post by jbenagh »

Robert,
if these are Lewmars the service kit they sell (with oil, grease, etc) includes a few extra pawl springs. Just ensure you get all the old broken bits out when you do the service. It should be straightforward to get the old bits out with a screwdriver or needlenose or pick. Especially once you clean the parts with paint thinner or kerosene to break up the old grease.
Jeff
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I'm not generally a big fan of Harbor Freight tools but this set of hooks and picks is super handy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-p ... 93514.html

Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
robwm

Post by robwm »

Thanks Rich, those pics look like just what I need! .... I don't get why they made those little springs with such short "arms" (saving on SS wire? :D )
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

If you're "on good terms" with your dentist, they may provide you with some old dental picks.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!