25D vs. 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

fritz3000g

Re: 25D vs. 27

Post by fritz3000g »

I've seen masts with hinges installed above the spreaders, to make raising easier. Seems like that would help go under bridges too, which I think is the context in which it was originally mentioned (and explains to me why you'd have to adjust the upper shrouds when messing with it).

I'm not really interested in that.

While I might add a pivoting tabernacle to a fixed deck stepped base (or replace the existing base with one), I don't think I'd buy a keel stepped mast with the intention of trailering.

I also wouldn't attempt to convert a keel stepped to a deck stepped mast. THAT makes me uncomfortable :)
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

fritz3000g wrote:I also wouldn't attempt to convert a keel stepped to a deck stepped mast. THAT makes me uncomfortable :)
I did not suggest converting from "keel stepped" to "deck stepped"... I
just stated that there are other ways to solve the problem. When I get a chance, I will post pics of the rig on the Elite 37.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

I step the mast on my CD22 with a simple A-frame made of 2x4s. I run the jib halyard to the apex of the A-frame, then cleat it off and use the trailer's winch to provide the power and control. The 22 has a hinged mast step. One person can easily do it alone when the boat is on the trailer. I can't imagine that the 25D's mast would be significantly heavier--aluminum masts on this size boat only weigh around 2-1/2 pounds per foot of length. If the boats you are looking at don't come with the hinged mast base option, it shouldn't be too hard to add one as long as the mast is deck stepped to begin with.

Raising the mast with the A-frame:
DSC_8609.JPG
Hinged mast base:
IMG_2302.JPG
Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I step the mast on my CD22 with a simple A-frame made of 2x4s. I run the jib halyard to the apex of the A-frame, then cleat it off and use the trailer's winch to provide the power and control.
Nice idea! I've done the same thing with a 6:1 meant for stringing up deer, but your winch seems like a great solution. Those Triad trailers are nice with the winch up so high.

How do you keep the bottoms of your 2x4s in place? Are they anchored somehow?

Have you found that your mast swings around when you're raising it in high winds (I didn't notice any baby stays, and assume you can't crank the winch while holding the mast).
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The 2x4s are kept in place in two ways. First, there is a line about half way up the A-frame run through a couple of holes and knotted at a distance such that the bottom of the A-Frame is the exact width of the deck where the upper shroud chainplates are (which is also in line with the mast pivot):
DSC_8611.jpg
Then the bottom legs of the A-frame are kept from sliding aft by tying them with lanyards run through holes in the bottom of the legs to the lifeline stanchion bases, which are very close to where the upper shroud chainplates are:
DSC_8611.jpg
I have never tried to raise the mast in high winds, so I can't answer that part of your question, though on a steady, level trailer the weight of the mast hanging from the apex of the A-frame keeps the mast properly in line in the weather I have launched in. A second person onboard holding the mast to keep it from swaying side to side wouldn't hurt. If you tried to raise the mast in the water where the boat would be rolling it would be a whole different ballgame. People do rig up bridles to keep the mast from swaying, but it's a level of complexity that I've never needed.

If your trailer's winch isn't high enough to give you a fair lead to the A-frame, just run the winch strap over the anchor roller at the bow. It should make a nice fairlead.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:The 2x4s are kept in place in two ways. First, there is a line about half way up the A-frame run through a couple of holes and knotted at a distance such that the bottom of the A-Frame is the exact width of the deck where the upper shroud chainplates are (which is also in line with the mast pivot):
DSC_8611.jpg
Then the bottom legs of the A-frame are kept from sliding aft by tying them with lanyards run through holes in the bottom of the legs to the lifeline stanchion bases, which are very close to where the upper shroud chainplates are:
DSC_8611.jpg
I have never tried to raise the mast in high winds, so I can't answer that part of your question, though on a steady, level trailer the weight of the mast hanging from the apex of the A-frame keeps the mast properly in line in the weather I have launched in. A second person onboard holding the mast to keep it from swaying side to side wouldn't hurt. If you tried to raise the mast in the water where the boat would be rolling it would be a whole different ballgame. People do rig up bridles to keep the mast from swaying, but it's a level of complexity that I've never needed.

If your trailer's winch isn't high enough to give you a fair lead to the A-frame, just run the winch strap over the anchor roller at the bow. It should make a nice fairlead.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Excellent planning and execution Jim.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I've been reading John Vigor's books per Dick's suggestion. My daughter loves the one about Dolphins and Ginger Beer!

In The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat he says the following:
Disproportionately long stern overhangs such as those found on 30-Square Meters and other lightly built racing sloops, are dangerous for sea work because of the leverage they afford an overtaking wave. Such craft are too easily swept into a vulnerable broaching attitude because their inboard rudders cannot overcome the powerful turning moment generated by the long stern.
Every review I read about Alberg boats mentions the long overhangs, usually in the first paragraph. Looking at the profile, they sure do look long. I'm not sure how to square this concern with his promotion of the 25D in his books.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

fritz3000g wrote:Every review I read about Alberg boats mentions the long overhangs, usually in the first paragraph. Looking at the profile, they sure do look long. I'm not sure how to square this concern with his promotion of the 25D in his books.
While all of Alberg's designs have nice lines and "some" overhang, I think you may be taking that quote too seriously. The "racing" vessels I believe being referred to may, in fact, have lots of overhang; most of the Cape Dory cruisers we sail simply have "graceful" overhang. If you research hull designs from that period of racing vessels vs our cruising vessels, I believe you will see the difference.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

fritz3000g wrote:I've been reading John Vigor's books per Dick's suggestion. My daughter loves the one about Dolphins and Ginger Beer!

In The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat he says the following:
Disproportionately long stern overhangs such as those found on 30-Square Meters and other lightly built racing sloops, are dangerous for sea work because of the leverage they afford an overtaking wave. Such craft are too easily swept into a vulnerable broaching attitude because their inboard rudders cannot overcome the powerful turning moment generated by the long stern.
Every review I read about Alberg boats mentions the long overhangs, usually in the first paragraph. Looking at the profile, they sure do look long. I'm not sure how to square this concern with his promotion of the 25D in his books.
Apples and oranges. The super long overhangs of the 30 square meter boats and boats like them far exceed the moderate overhangs on our boats. Cape Dories have might have long overhangs compared to the current trend of square sterned and plumb bowed boat. Overhangs provide some reserve buoyancy running downwind in big waves. They extend the waterline when heeled. Moderate overhangs in the bow do the same going upwind plus gives you some room for handling ground tackle.

I have never heard of CDs being accused of being twitchy running downwind and I have experience with running downwind offshore in a gale. Steady as a freight train.

Take a look at some of Olin Stephens boats such as Dorade, Stormy Weather, Finistere, etc etc. incredible boats which exemplary offshore passages and racing records.

I am not implying modern boats are less seaworthy. I like capable boats of a wide range of designs. But CDs are about as seaworthy of a boat as you can find. About the worst you can say about CDs is they are smaller inside than modern boats of similar length (though CDs can have more storage) and they have a tendency to hobby hobby-horse under certain conditions and sail configurations.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Here is a 30-Sqare Meter class boat.
30Square-Metre-2.jpg
Those are some loooooong overhangs coupled with an extremely narrow beam and a very short (for those days) keel. The key phrase in Vigor's quote is "disproportionately long stern overhangs". Alberg's boats are quite nicely proportioned.

Also, look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skerry_cruiser

Smooth sailing,

Jim
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I'm excited for Monday - I get to meet with an owner of a CD 27 and get a tour of his boat and hear his thoughts.

In thinking about alternatives to CDs, the one boat that seems an obvious alternative to the CD25D and CD27 is the Tartan 27-2. Reading about it, it seems like it's nearly identical from a maintenance perspective with just a couple different typical issues such as the centerboard. I currently own a swing-keeled boat so I'm familiar with centerboard-type concerns around maintenance and turtle safety. It seems like it would be somewhere in-between a 25D and a 27 in terms of seaworthiness. Slightly less draft than a 25D. Not quite as shippy-looking. Prices seem to be about 25% less than the CDs, and replacement parts are still manufactured. The biggest benefit of the CDs over the 27-2, honestly, seems to me to be access to this forum :)

Anything I'm missing on the comparison?
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

If you haven't seen them yet, check out the links below on things to look for on the Tartan 27 and 27-2:
https://www.sailingmates.com/tartan-27-review/
https://www.practical-sailor.com/sailbo ... investment

And there is an old (2001), but somewhat pertinent thread to your question here:
https://www.sailnet.com/threads/is-tart ... ailor.943/

If I'm not mistaken, the Tartan has a keel-stepped mast. If you really do want to trailer the boat yourself and step the mast without using a boatyard or at least a crane, that could be a deal breaker.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

If I'm not mistaken, the Tartan has a keel-stepped mast.
Good info Jim, thanks! Didn't realize that. I agree - I think that takes it off my list.
Another comment: I personally don't consider my 27 trailerable except by professionals with proper equipment. I've had my boat moved twice now and I would not want to see her on LESS of a tractor and trailer than the company I hired used - and it was not an F350 and a retail grade trailer at its load limit.

But another way to think about the trailer problem ... maybe seasonally, or occasionally: you pay for the expense of transporting your boat to new and interesting environs. Moving boats professionally is not all THAT expensive. Besides - how much does an F350 cost ? $40,000 ?

So for instance - if I could only find a 2-3 week window to cruise in Maine one summer, it would not seem out of the question to me to have my boat trucked from Narragansett, RI to Portland, ME and back . Otherwise, for me, "cruising Maine" would mostly be "getting there, and getting back". The last time I asked Brownell Systems this was about a $1700 proposition. So I am wondering if your "trailerable" requirement could be met in that way: a summer
Thanks Fred! I like that way of thinking. It does seem like choosing a boat then finding a way to transport it might not be the correct order to do things in. Might make more sense to look for a truck and call some hauling companies, then do the math, then choose a boat I can haul.

I have noticed that trucks have made great strides in recent years around towing capacities with turbochargers, suspension mods, etc..., and that Triad has a great CD 27 trailer for $11k or so depending on options. Still... those things are sure spendy. $3k for a twice a year commercial transport could be appealing if I didn't have to own a big truck and trailer.

One option I've thought about (once I have more free time and start making more friends) is to talk with people who own bigger trucks but don't really need them - or at least don't need them in the Winter - and offer to trade my 4WD vehicle with theirs for a month at a time while chipping in $1000. Folks in landscaping might bite.

The Bristol 27 looks intriguing, and could work, depending on which iteration I found (seems like there were a lot of different keel depth options). So could the Triton. All depends on my hauling method, I think. I'm mildly uncomfortable exceeding 8.5' boat width and would be very uncomfortable exceeding 9', on a trailer.

The CD25D or 26D is looking more and more appealing.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

For what it's worth, Enterprise Truck Rental rents pickup trucks you can use for towing.

--Jim
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Speaking of trailering a cape dory 27, does anyone recognize this boat or know who might own it now?

https://goodoldboat.com/advert/cape-dory-27-2/