25D vs. 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: 25D vs. 27

Post by John Stone »

fritz3000g wrote:Thanks John for the great feedback, both on sailing offshore and on how to plan for the Caribbean!
Sailing up wind in 25-30 knots on somewhat protected water and in the early phases of a blow is far different then trying the same thing 1000 miles offshore when the wind has had 24-48 hours to shape the seas. You're talking 10-14' waves. You won't be sailing up wind like that for long on anything under 40'-45'... not unless you are forced to do so.

I have close reached for several days in 25-35 kts and it was not fun. To sail upwind in those conditions your talking 45' boat minimum and it's still not fun.
I realize the point you're making is largely that beating upwind into offshore gales is a bad deal in all boats, but I'm also curious why you describe boat length as the key feature when determining whether you'd be willing to beat in waves in a given boat as opposed to, say, displacement or comfort ratio? I realize those things often go together, so given the overall thrust of your argument maybe this is besides the point. However, another poster brought it up earlier, so I'm curious. For example, would you prefer a 32 ft boat with 8k displacement over a 27 ft boat with 10k displacement?

I'm also assuming that wave period would also be a factor, though since we're talking offshore I'm assuming we're talking about longer-period waves. Given that you're camping on Lake Superior, I wonder if you know the Lakes and would be in a position to compare short-period lake waves to longer-period offshore waves? I've beat into 6' lake waves with 30 kts wind, and wonder how it would feel to beat into longer-period ocean waves.
These are just my opinions based on my experience. Some of it is personal preference. Some of it is physics. Boats with higher SA/D ration can keep sailing because they have more power so they can drive forward against steep waves and high wind loads. Except that their rigs and construction to make them light can be compromised by the shock loading. Often lighter boats have flatter hulls, especially aft, and less pronounced dead-rise so they pound. Thus more shock loading. Lighter boats tend to have less robust construction of the rudder. The rigs are lighter. This is not to say all lighter boats are less seaworthy. The POGO series of boats cross oceans but they are very light but the lack of comfort aboard must be awful. However they seem to do OK.

Lighter boats do tend to foot off to reduce pounding and shock loading. They can be fast sailed that way.

The challenge with light boats and especially boats under 12,000 lbs displacement is they struggle to carry all the stuff you want to have out cruising. Their pounds per inch immersion factor is lower than than heavier displacement boat. Two people can usually carry what they need on a boat around 12,000 lbs without affecting its performance much.

Todays sailors tend to carry more convenience oriented systems aboard these days so bigger boats are becoming more common. You are not going to carry much on a 10,000lb boat.

Self steering wind vane, auto pilot, dinghy, outboard, life raft (I don't carry one), heavy and light air sails, ground tackle (I carry four anchors), extra lines, radio equipment (we only carry hand helds) refrigeration (we don't have any...yet) bigger battery bank, solar panels, food, water spares, tools, snorkel gear, sun awnings, a dodger, personal gear etc etc.

My boat fully loaded is about 17,500--so we carry about 2000lbs of "stuff." I would guess most modern boats with a couple aboard will often carry 4,000lbs of stuff) We have few systems. Until recently we sailed without an inboard. engine. I feel like we have loads of room and live in luxury. We have also had four aboard, my twins (now in college) for a season sailing in the Caribbean.

The legendary and experienced John Guzzwell circumnavigated on a 20' sailboat called Trekka (a great book by the way). Trekka is a beautiful Laurent Giles designed micro cruising boat. She is still afloat and sailing. Anyway, he lived a pretty Spartan life and the condition under sail were tough to put it mildly. I met American couples sailing in the Caribbean on 45-50 foot boats. They had to have every convenience and as many luxuries as they could afford.

You just have to figure out how you want to sail and live aboard.

And to answer your question I'd take the 10,000 lb boat any day. But that's just me. There was a time when I would sail a Triton 28 on an ocean passage singlehanded. Very small for two. Now I think a CD 30 or Alberg 30 would be the minimum for me. Steve Laume and Jim W have it about right singlehanding I think.

I've yammered long enough.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Thanks John - I learned some words!

Deadrise - The deadrise of a boat is the angle measurement between the boat bottom and a horizontal plane on either side of the center keel. The deadrise of a flat bottom boat is much lower (or zero) compared to a vessel with a deep-V hull (https://www.tgyg.com/resources/deadrise).

Foot Off - Change direction to point further from the wind and make sail adjustments for greater speed.

Pounds Per Inch Immersion (PPI) - The weight required to sink the yacht one inch.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Specifically, it's the weight of the mast on a CD25D or CD27. I'm also an engineer, but this maneuver would scare the crap out of me. I'm not generally risk-averse, but I draw the line on things that can fail catastrophically, when there is a viable alternative that costs a few bucks.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Specifically, it's the weight of the mast on a CD25D or CD27. I'm not generally risk-averse, but I draw the line on things that can fail catastrophically, when there is a viable alternative that costs a few bucks.
It's weird. Replacing a post in my basement for a beam and running gas pipe both scared me. This doesn't for some reason.

Maybe it's having raised masts before by hand that makes me feel different, or having seen people raise heavier masts a lot (there's no crane on Lake Mendota here, so people figure it out themselves). I think the first couple times I do it I'll make sure everything is supported and backed up (use the baby stays), and raise it remotely from 20' away. Interestingly though, I've noticed that standing right next to the mast is a pretty safe location. All the shrouds are aft of you till it's completely up and if it falls before being raised completely it'll always fall aft.

In terms of an alternative, sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. I would plan to launch the boat about 10x a year, sometimes at places with no convenient crane or when the marina isn't open. I've come across marinas with broken cranes too where you have to wait a week. A friend of mine fixed a crane in exchange for a free launch once.

I'm sure there's a pun in there somewhere.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

If your intention is to trailer sail, you are going to need a boat with a mast tabernacle, so you will have a hinge point at the base of the mast to prevent the base of the mast from kicking out. I know some CD25Ds have a mast tabernacle and some have a mast shoe on the cabin top. It was an option. I'm not aware of any CD27s with a mast tabernacle, but someone may prove me wrong. I'm fairly certain all CD25s (not D) have a mast tabernacle. Search the archives for posts by Bly Hartley. There are some excellent tips for stepping and unstepping the mast on a Sea Sprite 23. Good luck and stay safe!

Unfortunately, most CDs have either mast shoes or are keel stepped. That's what I was getting at in my previous posts.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Search the archives for posts by Bly Hartley. There are some excellent tips for stepping and unstepping the mast on a Sea Sprite 23. Good luck and stay safe!
Thanks! Will do!

If I have to modify the boat to provide some sort of hinge (like a tabernacle) that the mast can pivot against around that's fine. I don't think I could handle a keel-stepped mast, so if I run into one of those I won't buy that boat.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

fritz3000g wrote:
Search the archives for posts by Bly Hartley. There are some excellent tips for stepping and unstepping the mast on a Sea Sprite 23. Good luck and stay safe!
Thanks! Will do!

If I have to modify the boat to provide some sort of hinge (like a tabernacle) that the mast can pivot against around that's fine. I don't think I could handle a keel-stepped mast, so if I run into one of those I won't buy that boat.

You can raise and lower a mast a lot bigger than the one on a 25 or 27 by using a gin-pole or a set of sheer legs. Just takes some planing and setting the system up correctly.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

fritz3000g wrote:If I have to modify the boat to provide some sort of hinge (like a tabernacle) that the mast can pivot against around that's fine. I don't think I could handle a keel-stepped mast, so if I run into one of those I won't buy that boat.
If you add a tabernacle hinge to the mast, you are better off with a keel-stepped mast.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

mgphl52 wrote:
fritz3000g wrote:If I have to modify the boat to provide some sort of hinge (like a tabernacle) that the mast can pivot against around that's fine. I don't think I could handle a keel-stepped mast, so if I run into one of those I won't buy that boat.
If you add a tabernacle hinge to the mast, you are better off with a keel-stepped mast.
How do you use a tabernacle with a keel step mast?
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote:How do you use a tabernacle with a keel step mast?
The mast is cut and a hinge is installed. A friend of mine had one built and installed on his Elite 37 so he could clear the 48 ft bridges at Destin and Ft Walton Beach with out having to clip the mast & main sail. Unfortunately, the engineering wasn't "perfect" and the uppers had to be loosened and readjusted each time. The boat is still in the area. I'll try to get a picture of the rig.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I'm curious too. I'd been thinking of something like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1f/7e/f0 ... 307fba.jpg
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

That looks like it could be on a CD25???
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

That looks like it could be on a CD25???
Could be. Random internet picture. I'd trust a large mast (~1000 lbs) to hardware like that, assuming I had twist and shear controlled.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Well I'm going out in a limb here and suggest you can't tabernacle a keel stepped mast. If you cut the mast and install a hinge then it's technically deck stepped...I think? IDK. The lower section is essentially a compression post at that point. Why do I suggest that. Well, the scantlings on a decked stepped mast are normally more robust than a keel stepped, e.g. the tube size and wall thickness are larger on a deck stepped mast because the lower end of the mast is not supported by the deck located partners which adds considerable strength. Maybe on that particular boat the scantling are the same for both deck and keel stepped. But this is not something I would want to guess at.

Spar building is not something you just engineer yourself. You could do the engineering I suppose if you have access to the structural date used by spar builders. I learned a lot about spars when I built my mast. I read a ton of stuff and consulted with a spar manufacturer engineer (who really did the majority of the work) and I also had the late Brion Toss, a highly experienced rigger, check our math.

Anyway, That's about all I can contribute at this point. This is one of those areas you need to proceed with caution due to the loads imposed on the mast, rigging, and deck.
Last edited by John Stone on Sep 27th, '21, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

John is correct here. Deck stepped masts are engineered for different loads. Also I would consider the strength of the deck and any interior posts here for compression loads very carefully too.
Paul
CDSOA Member