Any thoughts or recommendations on painting hull

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Mike Davis

Any thoughts or recommendations on painting hull

Post by Mike Davis »

My CD31 is closing in on 40 years old. The topside is in need of a paint job. I can't do it myself, as the work is too much for me to handle. I am looking around for a boatyard that does good work, somewhere on Long Island Sound or in the NY area. I know the cost is very high. It's either paint the boat or let it stay in old condition. Any recommendations?
Paul D.

Re: Any thoughts or recommendations on painting hull

Post by Paul D. »

I would try buffing the hull first with rubbing or polishing compound and a proper polisher. Then give it a wax. Look up in This Old Boat or other boat maintenance articles. It’s not difficult to do but it does take time and it’s a good workout for your upper body. But often times you can bring the whole gelcoat back to a yacht like Quality. Cape dory made thicker gelcoat layers than other sailboat builders. So I would try to use that to your advantage before considering painting, and all that that job entails. Unless you really just want a different color topsides of course.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Mike Davis

Post by Mike Davis »

I have the boat 11 years. Before purchasing Bellanena, the boat was painted with algrip by the previous owner. The paint job was of poor quality, and subsequently bubbled in several spots. The boat needs a paint job since there is no gelcoat on top.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Mike Davis wrote:My CD31 is closing in on 40 years old. The topside is in need of a paint job. I can't do it myself, as the work is too much for me to handle. I am looking around for a boatyard that does good work, somewhere on Long Island Sound or in the NY area. I know the cost is very high. It's either paint the boat or let it stay in old condition. Any recommendations?

If you have it sprayed with a two part LP like Awlgrip it will cost a small fortune. However, Awlgrip can be rolled and tipped, which we did, and from two feet away you can't tell it wasn't sprayed. It's a lot of work but not horrible. Also, you can often find small boatyards that have independent contractors who can roll and tip Awlgrip and it will cost a lot less than having it sprayed.

Perhaps something to consider.

Remember, the final results are based on the prep work. There are no short cuts if you want a quality paint job.
Daadolf

Post by Daadolf »

Lockwoods Boat Work South Amboy,Nj
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Mike Davis wrote: Any recommendations?
Wait till after the hurricanes pass?
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic