No More AGMs on the Far Reach

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ghockaday

Re: No More AGMs on the Far Reach

Post by ghockaday »

fmueller wrote: I’m figuring in another 3 years when my AGMs will be 8 years old the price of lithium might be in a range I can handle. These are things I amuse myself thinking about. Cheers and deeply appreciate these threads and the civil and informative discussion
Fred that is what I am hoping as well. I have read that they have to come down in price or they will be replaced with a different technology. I don't know what that is. Dennis

Wow! I thought the Trojans would be cheaper than Battle Born, over $1100 for the 12 volt by 110.
Last edited by ghockaday on Jan 8th, '21, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

[/quote]
Dennis, sounds really neat. Electric power has some real cool things going for it. I wish I could have figured out how to make it work for us but it just wasn’t viable given the way the FR is equipped and the way we use her.[/quote]

John, I can see how it would present challenges for someone that cruised a lot and was frequently on the hook and not on a dock. I only cruise the Chesapeake so the greatest distance is usually only about 20 miles away to a dock. It takes a large solar array to efficiently charge a 48 volt battery bank and not be detrimental to the AGM batteries. A Cape Dory 30 is not loaded with places for the proper placement of that many panels without taking away from her lines. I don't use a dodger or bimini for that reason either. We do have the option of using our 2k honda to charge them in a pinch. But if I was out in the ocean, it would be a diesel. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

fmueller wrote:John. The thing about the lithium jump pack is that it has other utility. It can charge any phone/tablet type device and it is an amazing work light and emergency strobe. Blinding actually. They hold full charge for months and months. And for what they are - tiny. I did not get it for these reasons but welcome the perks just the same.

Trojan has a new Trillium series LiFePo4 battery. They would physically drop into place where I now have my bank (right under the cabin sole on top of the keel ballast). Interestingly this series is setup in its battery management system to charge on AGM parameters. So it just becomes a question of cost. They are very expensive. Commonly boaters will tell you that “lithium” is a fire hazard. But that is only true lithium of hexoflurophospate batteries (what’s in your phone). Lithium iron phosphate batteries are far more safe and all the brands sold for RV/Marine type use are lifepo4 type. And they still have the same depth of discharge and cycle count typical of lithium chemistry. What you don’t ever want to do is leave a lithium hexoflurophospate device charging unattended. Your phone or laptop for instance. On the other hand how many house fires have you heard about that have resulted from cell phones being left charging unattended. ? The risk is overstated imho.

I’m figuring in another 3 years when my AGMs will be 8 years old the price of lithium might be in a range I can handle. These are things I amuse myself thinking about. Cheers and deeply appreciate these threads and the civil and informative discussion
Fred, I don't understand why it wouldn't be civil.... I would not be on this forum if it wasn't civil...though I certainly think we (forum members writ large) can and do sometimes just disagree. It would be weird if we didn't. I have learned some valuable things on the forum though I admit many of my views are very much in the minority. That's OK I think.

I think it's great you are happy with your system and exciting about how you can improve it.

Anyway, I want something simple and affordable. My power requirements are ridiculously small and I plan to keep them that way. Usually in the 3-4 ah per day at anchor and maybe 5-10 ah offshore due to transmitting on the AIS and soon to be burning LED navlights vice kerosene. It would probably cost about $2000 for 200 ah of Lifepo4. The T105s will run less than $300 for 225ah and very likely last just as long. (The Lifeline AGMS would only run about $600). If I get just six years out of the T105s that equates to $50 a year. And with my low usage I might get 8 or more years. Hard to say. So the LiFePo4s would not make sense.

It is my observation that more power available almost always leads to more gadgets which means more solar panels (plus the supporting hardware to mount them) plus maybe a wind generator so more sophisticated battery monitor which leads to more wiring which means a bigger electrical panel and a more sophisticated "smart" alternator, and it is just a never ending spiral. That would drive me nuts. For sailors that feel this kind of technology improves their life afloat or enhances their sailing experience I say right on...go for it.

As a general rule, I want less. I want the least I can get by without feeling like I am punishing myself. I want everything to work and I want to be able to fix everything myself and not have it feel like a grind. I like sailing a simple uncluttered boat. I like using my sailing skills. I like using my wits to plan and execute difficult maneuvers. I like challenging navigation and using my sextant--which I hope to more and not less. I like rowing my hard dinghy in the early evening and lighting off my kerosene anchor light as darkness falls. I like a quiet boat so I can hear the sound of water lapping on the hull or the wind ruffling the canvas, or coming down through the foredeck hatch. I want to spend my time reading a interesting book vice reading a technical manual. I'd rather spend time studying a useful knot from Ashely's Book of Knots vice a wire diagram. That's just me. I do have to acknowledge though that the FR has gotten more complicated with the installation of an inboard and a depth sounder. I have been contemplating adding a second small solar panel on a flexible cord like the one I already have. Hey, I am doubling my battery bank so I need more solar. See what I mean?

I hate the thought of putting in the 2" ID exhaust hose and drilling a hole in the transom for the spartan exhaust flange. I'm like everyone else...trying to find the sweet spot. Who knows, one day I might wake up and decide I have to have a 10" touch screen chart-plotter networked to a complete set of wind instruments and an auto pilot. But, I don't think so.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

fmueller wrote:John,

I have two group 27 AGMs (Trojan) and initially they were in a two bank config. There has never been a problem with even just a single battery starting my diminutive Beta 14. They are deep cycle batteries but still have 660 cold cranking amps at 32 degrees. Two years ago I decided to strap the batteries in parallel and just have a single house bank setup twice the size - and then I bought a lithium jump starter pack on the off chance that I might run down the combined bank. This has simplified everything - I never touch the battery bank switch - and frankly with availability of these small and capable jump starter packs I don’t see the rational of a dedicated starter battery any longer. The idea that our small marine diesels need a “starter” type battery is just not true.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB50-UltraS ... 1155&psc=1

When my AGMs give up the ghost I’ll move to lithium.

To each his own. I’m just posting here to present another POV

Cheers
Fred, I read your post and suggestions about a single AGM bank a couple more times. Been thinking about it quite a bit. One additional advantage is I could keep the AGM box from before. Just build one more Group 27 box, wire them together in series, and Bob’s yer Uncle. I’d be mostly ready to go.

So I am turning it around in my head some more to weigh the pros and cons while I work on the other projects. Thanks again for suggesting it.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

John,

Just following up on with something I spotted online that I didn’t know existed.

Same company that makes the lithium jump start battery pack (Noco) makes what looks like a really compact waterproof charger series ... so I thought I’d just leave a link here.

I’m all set because I have an inverter charger already, but these devices look like what you were inquiring about originally in an earlier post I think ... wouldn’t require perm installation ... very smart devices too

Cheers

https://no.co/products/charging
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

fmueller wrote:John,

Just following up on with something I spotted online that I didn’t know existed.

Same company that makes the lithium jump start battery pack (Noco) makes what looks like a really compact waterproof charger series ... so I thought I’d just leave a link here.

I’m all set because I have an inverter charger already, but these devices look like what you were inquiring about originally in an earlier post I think ... wouldn’t require perm installation ... very smart devices too

Cheers

https://no.co/products/charging
Thanks Fred. Good info.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Jim Walsh wrote:It can be annoying as everyone has different needs and expectations. I always had flooded batteries with no complaints. I ended up getting a Flow Rite Quick-Fill battery watering system. That made routine maintenance much easier and kept the levels precise.
I went with AGM this time around when I went to a starter and two battery house bank. First year is thumbs up....we’ll see how it goes long term.
Awesome. I installed the flowrite system for my new batteries. What a good idea. Thanks Jim.

I wish I would have got a transducer like John's inside the hull but I didn't. I will haul out in December and remove the two transducers that came with the boat I will patch one of the holes and install the Airmar bronze transducer I have in the other hole. I always wonder about having everything running on just one device ( Garmin 742 xs chartplotter). So if it breaks down then everything breaks down. At least I'm used to using nothing but a compass and a chart. Now I'll have the chartplotter, the auto pilot, the sounder and the Ais going thru the 742 . I could also get radar and some other things. I doubt that I'll ever get radar or anything else
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 07-01-45 Qwik-Fill Marine RV - Flow-Rite Controls.png
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 07-01-45 Qwik-Fill Marine RV - Flow-Rite Controls.png (208.4 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 06-44-51 The Cape Dory Board • View topic - Seeking Depth Sounder Input.png
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 06-44-51 The Cape Dory Board • View topic - Seeking Depth Sounder Input.png (622.39 KiB) Viewed 314 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote: My power requirements are ridiculously small and I plan to keep them that way. Usually in the 3-4 ah per day at anchor and maybe 5-10 ah offshore due to transmitting on the AIS and soon to be burning LED navlights vice kerosene.
John,

I will be interested to see if the power requirements for your AIS are as low as you think they will be. I've read the specs of several units, and I find it hard to fathom that they can draw so little power while transmitting. I know that a Class B AIS only transmits once every 30 seconds when under way, and once every 3 minutes at anchor, but the Vesper WatchMate XB8000, for example, says "3W nominal" power draw. If true, that is amazing. What kind of AIS do you have? The "black box" type generally draw less than ones that have a built-in display.

You're going to love the low power draw of the LED running lights. I have a set of hand-held running lights, and I use the white all-around one as my anchor light. It uses 3 AAA cells and seems to run forever on them. Way better than kerosene!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I have a Vesper Watch Mate. It has the mono screen. Have used it since 2016. The draw is negligible. Normally, offshore, I put it in receive mode (draws less amperage) when I am awake and switch to transmit during low visibility or when I am asleep. The only electronic devices I have added to the boat since going from 100 ah AGM to 225 Ah T105s are the LED running lights. I don't expect any capacity issues.