Adding spinnaker halyard, any tips?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Pembquist

Adding spinnaker halyard, any tips?

Post by Pembquist »

I am getting a new cruising chute and I need to add a halyard for it to my CD 28. There is a spinnaker bail at the masthead already but no block or cleat. I have 4 cleats on the starboard side of the mast 1 for the main halyard and 3 small ones for the jib club topping lift, the main reefing and a cunningham. On the Port side I have just one cleat for the jib halyard and a padeye for the main reefing. I am planning on using a 3/8 line for the halyard. Any tips on block size, (1/2" instead of 3/8"?), swivel, mousing, brand etc.? Any tips on where to put the cleat? How high up? I was thinking I would put it on the port side but am not sure where exactly would be best so that it wasn't conflicting with the jib halyard. I was planning on bringing the tack line back to the cabintop/cockpit. Advice appreciated.
SVFayaway

Re: Adding spinnaker halyard, any tips?

Post by SVFayaway »

I used a Harken 60mm Element swiveling block which has worked great for me. I still need to add a cleat on the port side to accommodate the halyard. I attached the block for tack line to the forestay fitting and have been running the line to the mooring cleats on the bow for now, until I decide how I want to run it back to the cockpit.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2