CD30 - New running gear

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

S/V Ethan Grey

CD30 - New running gear

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

I’ve decided to take the plunge and get new running gear for my CD30c w/Volvo MD7A engine. I just had the boat hauled and removed the engine to get a look at the shaft log, since it was leaking in that area. I realized that the original propeller had been replaced with a Max-Prop 2-blade Easy. Unfortunately, it’s a 15” diameter propeller and has pretty bad pitting. I can send the Max-Prop off to get it repaired, but that will be about the same as a new Campbell Sailer. If the propeller diameter was correct, I would consider this. But, at 15” it isn’t the right size for the boat. It should be 12”-13” from the research I’ve done. Plus it is a 2-blade, and that is inducing more vibration than a 3-blade would. In addition, the V-drive coupling bolt holes are elongated and the shaft has some corrosion as well. The whole thing wobbles pretty severely and I can’t seem to get it aligned with the v-drive. So, I’m having it all redone. I just purchased a new coupling from Walter ($$$) and will send it off to a prop shop and have it mated and flushed to the new propeller shaft. I will also order a Campbell Sailer (13LH8.5). I just replaced the packing box hose, clamps, packing material. I also just replaced the engine mounts.

My question is, does anyone know what the end-to-end propeller shaft length is for a CD30? I measured mine at 37.75” length, 1” diameter, but I have no idea if this is stock or not, seeing how the propeller was replaced. The shaft was stainless, not bronze, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t stock.

So, here is the tally so far:
Shaft (Aqualoy 22) 37.75”x1”: $335
Campbell Sailer Propeller - 13LH8.5: $665
Walter V-drive coupler: $190
Fit & face: $125
Shipping: ~$75
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Keith

Re: CD30 - New running gear

Post by Keith »

Mine was 38" when used with the MD7A and Walter V-Drive. Then I cut it back to 32 for the Electric Yacht motor.

Keith
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Thanks Keith. Gary Lowell measured his at 40.25”, so now I have 3 different measurements to go off of…hmm.
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Well, it's not too big a deal to make a long shaft shorter, but to make a short shaft longer, now that's hard.

Some of the variation may be what kind of coupler is in between the shaft and transmission. Some people add DriveSavers or similar products to their shaft that may result in a different shaft length.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Keith

Post by Keith »

For what it's worth mine was directly coupled I.E. no drive shaft saver or anything like that.