this mooring buoy OK?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Megunticook

this mooring buoy OK?

Post by Megunticook »

I bought a Polyform A4 buoy for my mooring back in 2014. This will be its 8th season. It sits in salt water May-October and in my shed over the winter.

The material at the top of the ball has changed appearance over the years--it's now discolored, rough, and kind of sticky to the touch. You think it's time to replace the buoy or is this merely cosmetic?

These are commonly used around here for moorings but I don't really know what the service life is.

Thanks for any tips.

Carl Thunberg

Re: this mooring buoy OK?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Mine are about twice that age. These things just don't wear out. They gradually lose air, but that can be fixed. They clean up reasonably well with lacquer thinner, but you're not going to make an old mooring buoy look like a new one. I'm guessing cormarants are roosting on the top of your ball. Mine look nothing like that.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

If you want to stop the deterioration and have an “as new” appearance try Duplicate-Color vinyl and fabric coating. It’s what car restoration pros use on dashboards and door skins. I’ve used it on old cowl vents. Just sand lightly, wipe down with acetone, spray several light coats so you don’t get runs. It’s durable and cheap and last for several years.
Auto parts stores and big box stores frequently stock it.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I don't think it will fail any time soon. Maybe you could paint a giant Kraken on it to scare away the birds :-)
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Not concerned about looks, just failure.

I contacted Polyform, they said after a while you can develop cracks and then it can deflate.

Talked with my mooring guys also, they were unequivocal: replace it now or you'll head out to your mooring to find it resting on the bottom one day.

Had picked up a spare at the spring sale at Hamilton Marine so will be retiring the old one.

Not worth the risk. 7 seasons out of a $80 item works for me.