Install Halyard Restrainer and if so, where?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Typhoon4Fun

Install Halyard Restrainer and if so, where?

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

The PO converted from hank-on to a roller furling headsail on my TySr. When I rigged the boat for the first time last season, the snap shackle rubbed on the foil, and it seemed like the halyard tension had to be just-so to prevent it from wrapping. I added a ~12" pennant to the get the head swivel closer to the sheave box. That helped eliminate the wrapping but the shackle still rubbed on the foil. I limped through the season by taping the shackle.

There was a Harken halyard restrainer in a box of stuff that came with the boat. I figured I would install it but am a little unsure of where would be the best location on the mast. The manual says to install it such that the angle between the halyard and headstay is 7 - 10 degrees, but I'm not sure how I could set that with the boat not rigged. I feel like installing it 3 - 4" below the sheave box would work, and I could adjust my pennant as needed, but am not so confident that i'm ready to drill holes.

Also, I feel like this particular restrainer is typically used on larger boats.. It looks like if I installed it too close to the sheave box it would conflict with the foil.

I replaced the halyard and decided not to re-use the snap shackle, as I can affix the eye of the halyard directly to the head swivel with a D shackle. That might be enough to stop the rubbing..

Any advice? Am I over-thinking this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: Install Halyard Restrainer and if so, where?

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I just installed a halyard restrainer on my CD28. I put the mast on the lawn and after measuring the distance from the headstay attachment to the base of the mast, I put the furler in place with the drum spaced out from the mast. I found a spot for the restrainer that gave me what looks to be that 7 to 10 degree angle. Will find out if I did it right on launch day.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Typhoon4Fun

Re: Install Halyard Restrainer and if so, where?

Post by Typhoon4Fun »

Jerry Hammernik wrote:I put the mast on the lawn and after measuring the distance from the headstay attachment to the base of the mast, I put the furler in place with the drum spaced out from the mast.
That's a good idea. I might have to take mine out to the street to get a big enough space but that should work :D