Boom Preventer?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Boom Preventer?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Has anybody rigged a boom preventer for long downwind legs?

I have rarely had a flying gybe (jibe?) in my 25D, but I'm wondering if such a rig would help me sail wing-on-wing.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Paul D.

Re: Boom Preventer?

Post by Paul D. »

On Femme I have rigged a preventer using 5/16 line. I find it helps a lot especially in larger waves or rolls conditions. Our booms can be quite dangerous silently and quickly if not rigged with a preventer.

I usually tie a bowline and run it from the furthest aft bail on the boom to the forward cleat and cleat it off, but I have rigged a snatch block at the cleat and run the line back to the cockpit too.

For a multiday passage with expected downwind runs I would use the method of tying a shorter line to the aft bail on the boom and cleating it off forward on the boom. This way you could access it on any tack or point of sail, tie your longer preventer line to it and cleat off forward or run it through a block as you see fit.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Keith

Post by Keith »

I use the boom vang attached to an eye pad that is midship.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I have a Dutchman boom brake on Grace which works great. If the main is backwinded with a preventer rigged, it can
be difficult to slowly release the preventer- as you can imagine. The boom brake allows the main to gybe slowly
and safely. The braking friction can be adjusted from the cockpit. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Joe Myerson wrote:Has anybody rigged a boom preventer for long downwind legs?

I have rarely had a flying gybe (jibe?) in my 25D, but I'm wondering if such a rig would help me sail wing-on-wing.

--Joe
Joe
The short answer is yes. The longer answer is a preventer gives you a lot more wiggle room sailing downwind with respect to avoiding an unwanted gybe. I never sail down wind without a preventer. And in super light air when the boom is not near as dangerous I still rig it ‘cause it keeps the boom out for better sailing performance. The trick is to have a set up that makes it easy to rig and use so you will actually employ it.

There are number of ways to do it, though some work better than others. Here is how we rigged it up on the Far Reach.

https://farreachvoyages.net/2017/10/14/ ... entervang/
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

We use one all the time when running. Even when conditions are mild, it is easy to do, and makes the sail more relaxing. We have a short line permanently attached to the aft boom bail, that is tied off on the boom when not in use. This makes it possible to attach the preventer line without having to haul in the boom, or to lean precariously overboard.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

We use one nearly every time we run downwind.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay