Advanced Transom Transducer Units Mounted In-Hull In Sailboa

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

atcowboy

Advanced Transom Transducer Units Mounted In-Hull In Sailboa

Post by atcowboy »

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has experience with mounting some of the new advanced side view super-duper sonar/transducer units inside a solid fiberglass hull? Example would be the Raymarine HV-100 unit.

I have read about MANY successful installations of various transducers inside the hull using epoxy, caulking, oil/water baths, and even toilet ring wax as acoustic coupling methods. However I just assume these are all narrow beam transducers. I would like to know if anyone has had luck mounting one of these big bois inside the hull of a sailboat.

Use case: It would be nice to have a navionics capable chart plotter, and I would like a working depth gauge. Units like the Raymarine Elements S or HV series seem to perform both of these as well as show the bottom of an anchorage in great detail or maybe fish if I ever do that. They do all that, at a really great price compared to stand-alone units.

- AT
bottomscraper

Re: Advanced Transom Transducer Units Mounted In-Hull In Sai

Post by bottomscraper »

We have a Garmin GPSMAP 942xs with a Garmin GT15M-IH in hull transducer on our CD36. This transducer could accommodate the deadrise angle at a location that was convenient. I'm a lousy fisherman but having a running histogram of bottom depths (and some indication of bottom type) is interesting.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com