CD 36 Cruising with a Tender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kailua Kid

CD 36 Cruising with a Tender

Post by Kailua Kid »

What solutions are there for storing the tender / dingy on a CD 36 during bluewater passages? With a boom vang in place, can an 8’ inflatable be stowed on the cabin roof? With the club removed from the staysail (and fair leads installed on the trunk cabin), can a tender be stowed forward of the mast? Any photos of what worked for you? Is it necessary to go with a roll-up and stuff it in a lazarette? (I hope not!) Suggestions, please?
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: CD 36 Cruising with a Tender

Post by John Stone »

I carry a 9’ hard dinghy in dedicated chocks on the cabin top. Easy to launch snd easy to recover. It’s safely stowed snd does not encumber access anywhere on deck or during sail handling. It has the added benefit of allowing me to sail offshore under pretty bad conditions to include rain while keeping the saloon cabin top hatch open.

I use a vang:preventer but it is attached to the bulwark and not the base of the mast.

A 8’ dinghy can be stowed on the cabin top with stock mid boom sheeting. A 9’ dinghy requires the main sheet be relocated to either the bridge deck or to the end of the boom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kailua Kid

Re: CD 36 Cruising with a Tender

Post by Kailua Kid »

These two photos show what you were describing in the earlier post very well. Thank you for your response.