Far Reach Accepted Into World Wide Classic Boatshow

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Far Reach Accepted Into World Wide Classic Boatshow

Post by John Stone »

Hi Everyone. On a lark I submitted the FR to the Worldwide Classic Boat Show. To my surprise and delight she was accepted.

I’m not exactly sure how the show works. I submitted 10 photos and a short narrative on the boat and her history for the committee to review. I was notified she was accepted today. The “virtual” show starts on 19 Feb and runs to 28 Feb. Tickets are $5. I assume she’ll be in the classic plastic division.

So there is at least one Cape Dory in the show. So if you have a little time on your hands and half a sawbuck burning a hole in your pocket drop in to:

https://classicboatshow.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Far Reach Accepted Into World Wide Classic Boatshow

Post by jbenagh »

Nicely done, John!
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Congrats! Actually, I'd be highly suspect of the organization if they had NOT accepted the Far Reach!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Far Reach is a beautiful boat and certainly deserves recognition. She doesn't seem like the best example of a classic Cape Dory. I know lots of people do serious modifications to cars that deviate, far from the original. Others go to the end of the world to keep every detail, exactly as it was as it left the factory. Some people just drive them.

My dad built a Fiberfab GT40 back in the early 70s. It used a VW chassis, had a 6 cylinder, Corvair engine and a fiberglass body with various parts from other sources. We never called it a VW. So at what point is a boat no longer a Cape Dory? The hull is definitely a Cape Dory. But little else of the original design remains. Shelby did Mustangs and they were awesome cars but they were no longer called Ford Mustangs.

Does Far Reach need a new designation? A Stone Dory perhaps. I hope this is not found to be offensive but it is something that I have been pondering. My mom always said if you were thinking it, you might as well say it. It has not always been the best advise, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Steve Laume wrote:Far Reach is a beautiful boat and certainly deserves recognition. She doesn't seem like the best example of a classic Cape Dory. I know lots of people do serious modifications to cars that deviate, far from the original. Others go to the end of the world to keep every detail, exactly as it was as it left the factory. Some people just drive them.

My dad built a Fiberfab GT40 back in the early 70s. It used a VW chassis, had a 6 cylinder, Corvair engine and a fiberglass body with various parts from other sources. We never called it a VW. So at what point is a boat no longer a Cape Dory? The hull is definitely a Cape Dory. But little else of the original design remains. Shelby did Mustangs and they were awesome cars but they were no longer called Ford Mustangs.

Does Far Reach need a new designation? A Stone Dory perhaps. I hope this is not found to be offensive but it is something that I have been pondering. My mom always said if you were thinking it, you might as well say it. It has not always been the best advise, Steve.
No offense Steve. I concur with your ruminations. When people ask me what kind of boat she is I often say “she was born a Cape Dory but....”. The reality is the only thing original to the boat is the hull, deck, portlights, chainplates a couple bronze cleats and the stern chocks. Nothing else remains original to the boat. When I entered her in the boat show the first line I wrote was “highly modified Cape Dory 36.” She is definitely an Alberg. Her hull and deck were built and assembled by Cape Dory in Maine. But, I think of her as a CD 36 MK II or a CD 36M (Modified) or CD 36V (Voyager). But I kind of like SD 36....
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

Congratulations John!!
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Congrats
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
atcowboy

Post by atcowboy »

Congrats to you and Far Reach!

- AT
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks quite an honor John and well deserved I might add!

Keith