Working load on main halyard CD28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bethbrownebooks

Working load on main halyard CD28

Post by Bethbrownebooks »

Anyone have any idea what the working load on the halyard is? Trying to buy a shackle for it and mystified by sizes. TIA!
Jim Walsh

Re: Working load on main halyard CD28

Post by Jim Walsh »

My personal preference is to use a cast headboard shackle with a captive pin but some prefer a buntline hitch. The working load would be determined by the wind strength and whether you wish to keep a tight luff or are less bothered by a little sag. I would estimate the main halyard load on my boat to be a seventy five pounds in fifteen knot winds and two hundred pounds with two reefs in a forty knot wind.
I splice my headboard shackle onto my main halyard and have one of these https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/ind ... 0uin7e42q3
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

You've got to make sure the captive dimension of the shackle accommodates the eyelet offset of your headboard ... ie how far the headboard eyelet is from the crown ... "A" in this picture. You've also got to make sure the necessary splice does not crowd full hoist.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=6551073

Can't Imagine this one from Ronstan for 1/2" line would not work as long as the headboard has clearance in the "b" dimension. There is no way your halyard loading would ever be even close to 1000 lbs. and this piece can handle 3-4000 lbs

ronstan.us/marine5/product.asp?ProdNo=RF1033
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Bethbrownebooks

Post by Bethbrownebooks »

Thanks, guys! Great info!!
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I've been wondering about halyard shackles also. I have a swivel snap on my jib and a lever type on the main and a captive pin type on the mizzen halyards. . I don't mind the first two but the captive pin on the mizzen is really hard to reach and really hard to work in the dark. I hate it. That halyard looks like it needs replacing. Any Suggestions???
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have used snap shackles,
tied to my halyards with a buntline hitch for years. This includes the main. I have never had any issues with these shackles. Any snap shackle that is big enough to fit in the headboard of the mainsail is probably more than strong enough to do the job. Life is just too short to deal with a captive pin, Steve.