25 vs 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Locutus

Re: 25 vs 27

Post by Locutus »

I'm late to the party but here's my two cents: I went to see a 25D for sale once. It was really nice and was a pleasure to sail. I liked everything about it except for one thing: lack of stowage. The settee seat backs were right against the hull, under the settees were small drawers fit only for a few knickknacks. The hanging locker forward of the head was only big enough for children's clothes. The galley storage area was quite minimalist. And the cockpit lockers were also surprisingly small. No lazarette either. So I consider this boat a mere weekender.

Now, I have not seen a CD 27 up close yet. In fact I'm going to see my first one this Saturday. But I suspect that it will have far more stowage capacity than a 25D, especially considering that the 27 has a V-berth with stowage under, something the 25D lacks. Until I saw a 25D in person I really liked the forward head design. Not any more. A V-berth storage area is quite versatile. Good for adding water tanks, stowing sail bags, etc.

One more thing. The 25D can really only sleep three adults. Supposedly one of the settees slides out to make a double berth, but I think that would only work for two small children up to 7 years of age.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Well my boat has 25 gallons of water under the vberth ... and two fairly small cubbies of about 1 cubic foot each... what the 27 does have is quite a lot of locker space around the cockpit, including a nice size lazaret.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Locutus

Post by Locutus »

I went to see a CD27 yesterday so I'll compare my impressions:
The 27 does have more stowage space, mostly in the cockpit and lazarette lockers. Space under the seats is accessed from the top so the full volume is usable (except where the holding tank is). It also has a bit of stowage space behind the seat backs (about 5 or 6 inches from seat back to hull), a hanging locker opposite the head, and some stowage under the V berth, but only port and starboard, since there is a water tank up front and center. Oddly enough, the cabin actually feels smaller than on the 25D. There's less headroom for one. My height is 5' 9.5" and with shoes on I had to bow my head slightly or else it would push against the ceiling, not just touch it. I think the larger cockpit and V berth takes up space that would otherwise go to main cabin length. Honestly it was so small it had a coffin-like claustrophobic feel to it. I didn't get to sail the 27 so I can't speak to that, but as a practical matter I would much prefer the 25D for day sailing and weekending. Now if I was a few inches shorter and wanted to cruise longer term, the 27 would be better just for the stowage space.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Locutus wrote: . . .Honestly it was so small it had a coffin-like claustrophobic feel to it. . . .
Wait until you climb down into the lazarettes –– Then you will experience true "coffin-like" claustrophobia, especially if the lid falls down and latches. :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

tjr818 wrote:
Locutus wrote: . . .Honestly it was so small it had a coffin-like claustrophobic feel to it. . . .
Wait until you climb down into the lazarettes –– Then you will experience true "coffin-like" claustrophobia, especially if the lid falls down and latches. :oops:

LOL. Truer words were never spoken. I just spent 2 hours working in the space under the cockpit behind the inboard. They don’t show that in the sailing brochures.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote:[ They don’t show that in the sailing brochures.
So true! Nor do they show squall lines, knock downs or swells crashing from stem to stern!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

I suspect you know this but I'd not fixate too much on just Cape Dory 25 / 27 - there are plenty of other old plastic boats laying around cheep as chips ... many in general, just as worthy as Cape Dorys to be truthful ... here in Narragansett Bay every boatyard has two or three it seems looking for an owner - most need some work, but there they sit ... there are at least as many old Bristols here and there as Cape Dorys ... there are Bristol 27s all over the place ... thats an Alberg design if it matters

cheers

good luck
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Speedgraphic

Post by Speedgraphic »

fmueller wrote:I suspect you know this but I'd not fixate too much on just Cape Dory 25 / 27 - there are plenty of other old plastic boats laying around cheep as chips ... many in general, just as worthy as Cape Dorys to be truthful ... here in Narragansett Bay every boatyard has two or three it seems looking for an owner - most need some work, but there they sit ... there are at least as many old Bristols here and there as Cape Dorys ... there are Bristol 27s all over the place ... thats an Alberg design if it matters

cheers

good luck
Thank you for posting this as it made me discover and read about the wonderful-sounding Bristol 24. Looks like a great alternative to the dreamboat and over priced 25D of my imagination.