New trailer cost for CD 25D, 26, 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dane9

New trailer cost for CD 25D, 26, 27

Post by Dane9 »

I am shopping for a small blue water boat and am trying to find out how much a new trailer would cost, since I live on a farm and have plenty of shed space to store the boat over the winter, and a truck that could pull it.

I'm considering boats such as the CD 25D, 26, and 27, also the Flicka 20 and Contessa 26, among others. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on a trailer price? I emailed Triad asking for a quote but no response yet.

Thanks,

Dane
wikakaru

Re: New trailer cost for CD 25D, 26, 27

Post by wikakaru »

It depends on a lot of things like whether you need to be able to float the boat off the trailer at a launch ramp, or whether you are going to have it lifted with a crane or Travelift. Lift-off trailers are less expensive than float-offs. My guess would be on the order of about $7,000 for a brand-new trailer, give or take, for the size boats you mention.

--Jim
Keith

Post by Keith »

A bit off topic but if you are considering a PSC Flicka 20 wouldn't a PSC Dana 24 be more in line with the CD 25D,26 & 27??
yankeefan

Post by yankeefan »

Dane,
I bought a special float-off model trailer (loaded) for my CD25 from Triad last year. Tounge extension, disc brakes, leveling jacks and it cost me $6500. Triad has less expensive models available, but I opted for the extras to allow me to launch from just about any boat launch access. Mike at Triad knows his stuff; I am very pleased with the purchase. The trailer has performed beautifully and would recommend going with a quality builder like Triad.
Since he builds to order, you pay 1/2 upfront and the other 1/2 on delivery. It took about 4 weeks from signing the contract to delivery but his lead times vary depending on his backlog. I have other pictures if you are interested.
Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Yankeefan,

Nice looking set-up. I have a CD 25 and would consider buying a Triad trailer if I knew I was going to keep my boat for a few years, as it cost me $500 to launch and haul each. How do manage stepping and unstepping the mast?

Thanks.

Chris
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I have trailered and I am pretty sure of those that still do you MUST know your ramps. With the extensions you can easily back off the end. Some in tidal water have very steep drop offs past the concrete. Truck stopping drops. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30