How much does 6" matter in a trailer launch?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fritz3000g

How much does 6" matter in a trailer launch?

Post by fritz3000g »

Hi all, new member from Wisconsin. Glad to be here!

I'm considering a 25D vs. a 27. My questions are as follows:
  • How much harder is it realistically to trailer-launch a CD with a 4' draft vs. a 3.5' draft?
  • What percentage of ramps that would allow for launching with a 3.5' draft would not allow for a 4' draft?
  • How much less safe is trailering a boat with a 4' draft (higher center of gravity) compared to a 3.5' draft?
  • If you think that my desire to trailer a CD is unrealistic, what would you get instead that would give up the fewest benefits of a CD?
I'm an owner of a MacGregor 25 who's looking to upgrade in the next few years. I love my Mac25, but am finding the headroom, sea-unkindliness, tenderness, and intolerance of >4' waves increasingly annoying (to both me and my guests) as I take longer trips and venture further into open water. When I retire in a few years I'd like to overcome some of these annoyances and expand my range, without giving up the ability to trailer. A CD seems like a great option at a reasonable price (can't afford a NorSea).

I've watched many others launch boats at ramps from small swing-keels to deeper full keels (up to 4'), and compared to most people it appears that I'm very good at optimizing the launching process. Currently I can leave the dock 30 minutes after arriving in the parking lot. I understand that a CD will take much longer to rig and launch, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out assuming sufficient ramp depth. Trailering is a requirement for me, but I'm ok with it taking a lot of engineering / welding to make it possible and several hours to rig.

I will have a vehicle that can safely tow a 12,000 lb trailer.
tartansailor

Re: How much does 6" matter in a trailer launch?

Post by tartansailor »

Doesn't really matter much. The one critical point is what happens if your trailer wheels go off the ramp on the deep end.
You can remedy that potential grief moment if you have a welder weld skid plates at the front of the wheels.
Hope this helps.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

tartansailor wrote:The one critical point is what happens if your trailer wheels go off the ramp on the deep end.
You can remedy that potential grief moment if you have a welder weld skid plates at the front of the wheels.
Thanks Dick! That sounds like great advice - I'll do that!
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

That was our issue also, long shallow ramps at low tide. I have heard of folks pulling the axle out from under their trailers. Skids sounds like a good Idea as well as tongue extension if the trailer does not have one to keep you tow vehicle out of the water.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I'd be curious if anyone has ever seen a design for a good roller-style trailer? It seems like you could roll a boat off the trailer even if it's not floating yet.
ghockaday wrote:I have heard of folks pulling the axle out from under their trailers.
I can't imagine how you would do this, especially on a multi-axle trailer. Do the wheels slide forwards/backwards along the trailer or something?

Jer...
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

fritz3000g wrote:I'd be curious if anyone has ever seen a design for a good roller-style trailer? It seems like you could roll a boat off the trailer even if it's not floating yet.
ghockaday wrote:I have heard of folks pulling the axle out from under their trailers.
I can't imagine how you would do this, especially on a multi-axle trailer. Do the wheels slide forwards/backwards along the trailer or something?

Jer...
No, they back an old rusted out trailer off the back of the boat ramp and load their boat, then they commence to jerk and snatch with a 4X4 truck trying to get the tires back up on the ramp and rip the u-bolts loose and leave the axle. My wife had a neighbor when she was growing up that left their axle on the train tracks. Don't think nice new and maintained. In some cases it may be a foot or two drop off the end of the ramp.

However I am sure you could do plenty of damage to a new trailer also. Dennis
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

Oh, I see. Pulling out the axle isn't an intentional strategy :)
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

fritz3000g wrote:Oh, I see. Pulling out the axle isn't an intentional strategy :)

You would not need as much water next time with that strategy. Much lower profile trailer. :D
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30