CD36 questions on Non-skid and Bulkhead mounted tables

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: CD36 questions on Non-skid and Bulkhead mounted tables

Post by John Stone »

I have hull #61. It came with stippled paint.

I had an in-line table but sold it when I gutted the boat as part of the complete rebuild. Built my own table. Not a bullhead mounted table. Thrilled with our design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

My '77 CD 27 came with a cut down pedestal table. ( one pedestal ). I removed it and obtained a bulkhead mounted table from a later 27 and installed that. However I find that I seldom use the table at all and know of at least one other 27 owner that has removed the table altogether. Since I primarily single hand I find that I take most of my meals in the cockpit.

On your bigger boat you may use it more.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JohnB wrote:Thank you John. You never cease to inspire me. I have been follow you since your first post to this bulletin board.

John
Thanks. Glad it’s useful to you. The challenge with a drop leaf is it blocks under table access for even your feet. You can’t stretch your legs out. The drop leaf in my opinion is very restrictive and also makes the boat feel smaller. My table is nearly an exact duplicate of the Pardey’s table and solves all kinds of problems. It’s not restrictive yet it is always there to use. It can also be completely removed in about 45 seconds.

But I agree the bulkhead mount is a fine table too. And the boat feels much much larger when it’s folded up. It is also a very simple table to make. Most of the ones I have seen have hidden storage rack between the table, when folded up, and the bulkhead. I have a friend with a 36 and she has the bulkhead table. It’s very nice and would make a great addition to any boat that can accommodate it.