33 or 330: anybody install a composting head?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John383

33 or 330: anybody install a composting head?

Post by John383 »

I’m “heading” towards a C-Head ...anybody know if this would fit in 33/330?
John Wiecha, Portland, ME
Ty Weekender and CD 330
camroll

Re: 33 or 330: anybody install a composting head?

Post by camroll »

One fit in my CD36 so I'd guess it would fit easily in the 33. It fit right in the same spot as the original head

Russ
dr2owen

Post by dr2owen »

I just put an Air Head in my 330 but instead of putting it where the head was I put it over where the shower was since we were not using the shower anyway. It fit great and feels like a "throne".
atcowboy

Post by atcowboy »

I built a composing head into the spot where the head was on my CD 27. I had to buy a funnel, and a curtain/rod to make it pretty, and a new seat, but I had the rest of the materials. Cost less than $20 and works amazingly well. I utilized the bulkhead space behind the head where plumbing used to be too store the coir. Very stable, not coming out in a seaway.

I highly suggest using one. I live with two hounds on the boat (so nose driven!) and they never give the head a second thought. I can't smell it either.

- AT
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

You may want to search the archive for threads on C-heads. We installed one in 2014 and have posted some comments and pointers.

Briefly, we plumbed the fluids tank directly into our holding tank, leaving the C-head for solids only. We add a bit of peat moss to the solids tank after each use and crank it. The solids tank lasts all summer (we're live-aboards in Maine) but we do use the shore head most mornings. Never an odor problem and very quiet to use in the night when your mate is sleeping.

Also, we pre-fill the solids tank with a much smaller amount of peat moss than the mfr. recommends. It will then have more room to accept the waste and peat you add with each use. The peat quickly absorbs the moisture from the wastes. We occasionaly spray a bit of water in the tank but only a little. Too much water and the tank can leak at the crank handles: unpleasant. (trust us, we know this).

We no longer worry about leaving the head valve open and sinking the boat.

Unless you leave it sit all winter, the solids tank will never completely compost before it needs emptying. Even if it did, what would you use the compost for? We just dump the contents into a double plastic bag and put it in the dumpster. Even doing this, there are no odors other than peat moss.

Using compostable TP helps. The kind made for private septic systems is available at hardware stores in rural areas.

Still not absolutely sure if we are legally bound to either pump out the liquids-only tank or pump 3 miles out. May vary with the state and local no-discharge requirements.

Anyhow, we don't miss having to unclog finicky marine heads, always a joyous ocassion.

Sailors sure have some weird conversations about wastes. We've been to dinner with sailing friends and the mid-meal chatter included in-depth discussions of wastes, though I don't believe we've broached the subject at a wedding or a funeral (yet).

Cheers and stay healthy, all of you, in this winter of our discontent.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
John383

Post by John383 »

Thank you all for these suggestions!
We are going to measure out the space
to confirm fit!
John Wiecha, Portland, ME
Ty Weekender and CD 330