Looking for Cape Dory 27 - Owners

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gavi0065

Looking for Cape Dory 27 - Owners

Post by gavi0065 »

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum and glad to meet you all. I just came into a 1981 Cape Dory 27. I purchased the boat part way through a refit, and it's going to take a lot of effort to get it sailing again. The vessel's interior has been almost completely gutted and the topsides are bare: no hardware and unpainted over repairs.

I'd like to connect to other Cape Dory 27 owners, especially those who have done extensive refits. As the boat is almost completely bare, I'm debating how I will proceed with the refit: I may attempt to rebuild it like they did in 1981, but I may also attempt to redesign it a bit (I mean no offense to the die hard Cape Dory adherents in suggesting a redesign. I don't think myself more capable than the original designers, and I understand a redesign would affect resale. But, the boat is a blank canvas, and what was right for a cruising family in 1981 might not be right for a single guy 2020. So if this isn't something you could at least be open to thinking through, this might not be the thread for you.) It'd be great to hear from others who might be interested in helping me on the journey of getting this thing back in the water.

I've also got an immediate question regarding the work. I'm fairly comfortable working with wood, but like John Stone mentions in his amazing blog about Far Reach (If you're reading this John, your blog has already been invaluable), I'm new to working on fiberglass boats. My first question for the group is on safety. I've just ordered some PPE, but the air quality inside currently is pretty horrendous. I was wondering if asbestos was used as a filler or really in any part of the construction of Cape Dorys of this vintage? I found one thread on the topic on this forum, but that was from back in 2006 and no real conclusions were made.

So, like I said, great to meet you all. I'm happy to hear this is such an active organization. I'd love to connect with some other CD27 owners or those interested/able in helping me through this refit. And my first question is about the asbestos. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Ryan
Jim Walsh

Re: Looking for Cape Dory 27 - Owners

Post by Jim Walsh »

Welcome. I’ve never heard of anyone encountering asbestos. I’ve been most everywhere on Orion and never found anything suspicious. John Stone gutted his 36 and would have had the best opportunity to discover its use.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Hi Ryan and welcome.

I have Horizon Song, CD 27 hull #27. Only my 2nd season with her and I have done several minor modifications. You will find that no two Cape Dorys are alike. For instance '76 and '77s have blue decks while later boats have tan. Electrical panels, galley set up, saloon tables etc. are different in later boats.

I'm always on the look out to see the differences in other 27s.

Where are you? You would be welcome to come inspect my boat and I know of at least two more 27 owners in Narragansett Bay, RI that would likely welcome a visit.

Post some picks of your boat. Is it really bare? What happened to all the furniture and all the hardware? It's going to be expensive to replace all that stuff.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

gavi0065 wrote:Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum and glad to meet you all. I just came into a 1981 Cape Dory 27. I purchased the boat part way through a refit, and it's going to take a lot of effort to get it sailing again. The vessel's interior has been almost completely gutted and the topsides are bare: no hardware and unpainted over repairs.

I'd like to connect to other Cape Dory 27 owners, especially those who have done extensive refits. As the boat is almost completely bare, I'm debating how I will proceed with the refit: I may attempt to rebuild it like they did in 1981, but I may also attempt to redesign it a bit (I mean no offense to the die hard Cape Dory adherents in suggesting a redesign. I don't think myself more capable than the original designers, and I understand a redesign would affect resale. But, the boat is a blank canvas, and what was right for a cruising family in 1981 might not be right for a single guy 2020. So if this isn't something you could at least be open to thinking through, this might not be the thread for you.) It'd be great to hear from others who might be interested in helping me on the journey of getting this thing back in the water.

I've also got an immediate question regarding the work. I'm fairly comfortable working with wood, but like John Stone mentions in his amazing blog about Far Reach (If you're reading this John, your blog has already been invaluable), I'm new to working on fiberglass boats. My first question for the group is on safety. I've just ordered some PPE, but the air quality inside currently is pretty horrendous. I was wondering if asbestos was used as a filler or really in any part of the construction of Cape Dorys of this vintage? I found one thread on the topic on this forum, but that was from back in 2006 and no real conclusions were made.

So, like I said, great to meet you all. I'm happy to hear this is such an active organization. I'd love to connect with some other CD27 owners or those interested/able in helping me through this refit. And my first question is about the asbestos. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Ryan
Ryan, thanks for the kind words. Gutted? Outstanding.

There is no sanctity for CD rebuilds. Push back on anyone that tells you different. IMO, I don’t think it will hurt the resale value. They are not rare Porsche 356s. They are however well built tough fine sailing boats. And I think they are lovely too. Your boat, your money, your way.

Having said that boat interiors tend to be more similar than dissimilar for a reason. Generally you’ll be more happy with a proven interior layout. But I personally think many modern boat interiors are way off target. So layouts from the 40s, 50s, and 60s are pretty good to look over. It’s critical that you adopt accepted ergonomics. Or it will feel wrong. Counter heights, settee dimensions, berth lengths and widths. Done well your boat will be worth more than a stock boat. But you have to do it right. Lots of info out there to guide you along. Check Tim Lackey’s website for a lot of detailed how too. He is a real pro. James Baldwin has some good info but not a lot of how to detail like Tim.

I think there is very little chance you’ll find any asbestos in an ‘82 boat. I think the asbestos mish-mash was gone by the late 70s. I never found any. I got some input from Fred of Fenix Rises who built BCCs and has a lot of practical experience. He said it was pretty much out of the boat building industry by then.

Anyway, have fun. Does not have to be expensive to rebuild your boat. But use good ply, hardwood, and decent hardware and you’ll be fine. Get a commercial account with Jamestown Distributors or some other chandlery and you’ll save a lot of money.

Best advice is to get your boat in your yard if possible and if not then as close to your home as you can. Build a shed over it and your chances of completing the rebuild will quadruple. It will take longer than you think and cost more too. But don’t sweat it. There are for worse ways to waste your money and time. That old expression comes to mind. “I spent all my money on boats, broads, and booze. All the rest I wasted.”

If you see it through you’ll learn a lot and end up with a great boat.

Sail on. Or in your case...sand on.
gavi0065

Post by gavi0065 »

Hey all,

Thanks for the reply's. That's reassuring about the asbestos.

Yeah. They're really bare. I have some hardware in boxes, but all in all, it's pretty spartan (except without the spartan hardware... whoa). I have some of the interior wood that could be used as templates, but apparently it had gotten wet and warped/molded etc. I'll post some photos soon.

Now, I'm working on removing what's left of the electrical. I also had a question. It doesn't seem like the bulkheads are actually tabbed in. It looks like they're screwed in. They seem to be in ok shape. Maybe a bit of rot at the bottom, but otherwise they're in pretty good shape. Since it's otherwise empty, would it be beneficial to remove them and actually tab them in instead of being bolted in as they appear to be now? (I know they're important for supporting the mast system on cape dorys.)

Ryan
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Correction, if it matters, I have hull # 35 not # 27.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
gavi0065

Post by gavi0065 »

Hey Walter,

Sorry for not replying. Thanks for your willingness. I actually live on the third coast. This boat's first journey will be on Lake Superior. If I make it out to the east coast though, I'd value a walk through. Mine's an '81 and my decks have all sorts of colors.

Ryan
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Ryan,

If you haven't already, have a look around this site, lots of project videos ... not Cape Dory's, but mostly Alberg design boats; lots of great ideas from a legendary circumnavigator - James Baldwin.

Cheers

https://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/im ... jects.html
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
JBrophy

Post by JBrophy »

Hi Ryan,

New 1979 CD27 owner here. Port side fore bulkhead has some rot in mine so I'm interested in the response you get as well.

Best,
Jeff
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

I have a 1981 27', also in Narragansett Bay, and would be happy to respond to any questions. Or I could take some photos and send them -- everything is off the boat for winter so you could see the original design. Good luck with the refit!
JOE
rorik

Post by rorik »

Ryan,
I've got a `79 CD28. Not even remotely close to what she looked like originally. Set up for long term liveaboard sailing for one or two adults. If you want pictures, etc, pm me. And John Stone is right. Nothing is sacred. Build what is needed/wanted.
Also, there are/were three CD 27's in Olympia WA at Swantown Marina. Maybe the office can pass your info on to the owners.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.