CD25D bimini

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

n5ama

CD25D bimini

Post by n5ama »

The dodger on my boat barely covers the hatch way. I will attempt to fabricate a bimini that will cover more of the cockpit but stay below the boom. I measured the tubing diameter to be .875” and know that diameter is used for the common 3/4” copper tubing that is very bendable and cheap from the building and plumbing suppliers.

I would much prefer to have this in 316 SS but this presents a problem when I form the tubing to fit my boat and boom height. Another problem is the fittings to attach the bow to the existing hardware. In my quick look, I was able to find “Sea Dog” hardware in SS but it’s 1” diameter. Is their a supplier that makes .875” diameter hardware? I’m sure there must be because I have it on the boat.

I’m less concerned about the Sunbrella material because I have a local upholsterer that can sew up what I need and modify the dodger to attach the bimini.

Any help with this project is greatly appreciated.
Tom
steveg

Re: CD25D bimini

Post by steveg »

Hello,

Why not make an awning which goes over the boom? Three straight tubes, it rolls up and deploys quickly. You can stand under it if the boom is set high enough.

Just a thought.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Lots of folks do just that. They usually sue PVC tubes that will bend a bit so that any rain will run off the sides.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

That's what I have on my 25D. The PO's wife made it. It even has roll-up sides.
I think a bimini would require raising the boom. I don't know if that would compromise performance.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
n5ama

Post by n5ama »

steveg wrote:Hello,

Why not make an awning which goes over the boom? Three straight tubes, it rolls up and deploys quickly. You can stand under it if the boom is set high enough.

Just a thought.

Steve

Great thought!
Some PVC connectors and some blue tarp just to see how well it stays in place.
Cheap proof of concept!
Thanks
steveg

Post by steveg »

I used stainless tubes, with wood dowels stuck into the ends. Screwed stainless eye bolt in and they were good. Having some adjustable straps is a good idea also. It is nice having the height under the awning. If you have a dodger (some call it a spray hood) it is even cozy on a wet and or windy day.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

We made one for our CD25 and the thing I added was I cut the tubes in half. Glued a coupling to one side and ran bungee cord the whole length under tension. This allowed me to pull it apart into a small package for storing without having to worry about losing parts.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

Thought I sent these pics of my 25d Bimini.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
n5ama

Post by n5ama »

Thanks Frank. That looks great!

What did you use for tubing and did you bend the tubing yourself?
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

Ma’am a,

I used 1”,stainless and had the fabrication done at a local canvas shop . They suggested aluminum but I wanted a durable product that I could grab hold of moving around the deck.

Suggest doing a mock up to develop dimensions that work and connection points, I just used electric conduit and did that bending myself.

Did raise the boom 6” to provide more clearance
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

Sir, sorry about the spellcheck!

I did find my measurements for the Bimini frame . Happy to,send via email or pm.
n5ama

Post by n5ama »

That would be great Frank. I've got a tubing bender but I'm not sure it will handle 1" tubing.

I think I'd like to use Seadog fittings and maybe mock up with copper tubing but that might be a waste since it will be used for just setting the bimini up. I also considered using PVC heated up with the torch to play with the shape. I'm not sure how much bend I can put in it before it collapses. I may try it tomorrow.

Your measurements would save a lot of trial and error. Also, I thought if I could make a jig with the tubing in the proper place, I could bring it to my upholstery shop and get him to fabricate the top out of Sunbrella.

Thanks,
Tom
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

Rough measures 25d Bimini supports
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

For quite some time, I've wanted to add a Bimini. Don't have head room under boom but talked to a sailmaker about the possibility/feasibility of having 6" to 12" cut off the bottom of the mainsail. He didn't think it would have a serious affect on performance. Im still uncertain though.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

You probably do not have to cut the entire foot of the sail. We just cut 11" off at the clew and tapered the foot down toward the tack, that way the gooseneck does not have to be repositioned. Draw it up and see if that would work for you.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27