Mesh sanding discs - thanks for the advice

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jen1722terry

Mesh sanding discs - thanks for the advice

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey CDers!

It's been awhile since we've posted on this board. We spent a very quiet summer at our usual float mooring in Northeast Harbor, ME. Didn't socialize anywhere near as much as usual, nor did we attend any events. Mostly rented movies from the fine local library and read a lot. But we are still healthy and that was our priority.

Anyhow, we hauled out at Blue Hill, ME on Monday and decided it was time to sand the bottom smooth for a new coat of bottom paint in the spring. Got to reading some excellent posts by Steve Laume and Jim Walsh, two guys who are exceedingly generous with their wisdom and long experience. They both talked about mesh sanding discs as being superior to the older grit-based discs and boy were they ever correct.

I picked up a pack of 80-grit Diablo at Home D., stuck on the included adapter to our Dewalt orbital sander, hooked it all up to our trusty old Fein shop vac and had at it.

Half way through one side of the boat, I was still on the first disc. No dust on me, my clothes or the dust filter on my 3M respirator. None. I didn't wear Tyvek, no hood, no rubber gloves. Amazing.

I think these discs cut faster than normal 80-grit and you don't lose time (or money) constantly changing clogged discs. We expect a smoother, faster and cleaner bottom in the future as we'll have less disincentive to doing a good sanding each fall.

BTW, like Jim, we like to sand in the fall. The weather is more realiable than spring in Maine and we're not rushed to dump the boat in.

Anyhow, Thanks to Steve and Jim.

And for those still in the water, enjoy your fall sailing, which can be glorious.

Jenn and Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, NH
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Steve Laume

Re: Mesh sanding discs - thanks for the advice

Post by Steve Laume »

It was all Jim. He is the one who found those things and I have yet to try them but I am hauling this fall and will follow his lead as well. Jim spends a lot of time on his boat and gets things done. I usually winter wet and do a short haul every other year. This year I am going to haul out and try to get most of my prep done before spring. I also have plans to install a refrigeration system.

I want to have Raven lookin pretty and ready to go to Newport for the Volvo race in May.

I had a blast up there last time, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Re: Mesh sanding discs - thanks for the advice

Post by Jim Walsh »

Those mesh sanding disks are just the thing for sanding bottom paint when used with an orbital sander and a good vacuum system. I still wear a mask for safety but it’s almost unnecessary. What had previously been the dirtiest job is now one of the cleanest.....glad it worked out for you.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time