Sand Box Head

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ghockaday

Sand Box Head

Post by ghockaday »

We went a simpler route but we don't take extended cruises. We made a cabinet and a lid (johny house) that contains a 5 gallon bucket with a liner and clumping kitty litter. Dispose of as you would your litter box. I don't notice any smell at all. The old sewage take made the boat smell horrible. This is our 3rd sail boat and we have removed the marine head everytime. We also removed both doors for the same reason of getting by them. Dennis
Sand Box.jpg
Sand Box.jpg (570.4 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
Sleepwalker

Re: Sand Box Head

Post by Sleepwalker »

Now you can use this to see if you are sick or not.
https://prettylitter.com/
(as advertised on TV)
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

"Very Interesting" :)
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Dennis, what material are we looking at here? you have a sketch of the design? Looks like a good solution to a winter project.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

That is 3/4 non marine grade plywood, coated in West Epoxy. Did not need to be 3/4 but it is what I had at the time. I now have some 1/2 marine plywood and I may re-do it as the sanded side looks much better and it does not have voids. I would stain and varnish it to look more teak like. It is the height of a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and the whole top will lift off. We store head supplies under the lid beside the bucket. The hole under the lid cover is the size of the marine head seat. I may make that larger next time. There is a furring strip on the back wall that the top sits on and the front is installed with screws and does not move. I do not notice any smell from the head. If we go on a longer trip we would probably keep the liquid out. We line the bucket with a plastic bag and dispose of as you would kitty litter. Cost is probably less than $50.00
Dennis
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30