Right of Way

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

kerrydeare

Re: Right of Way

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... Are you restricted in your ability to maneuver if you're hove to, and especially if you've done so to tuck in a reef because you've overpowered? (A good idea to heave to on a starboard tack, btw.)
A vessel "hove to" is considered underway and is specifically covered by the rules in the Colregs. Of course the crossing rules with respect to which tack a sailing vessel is on are clear.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote:When my main is part way up or down, with a need to keep head to wind, I do indeed feel [emphasis added] restricted in my ability to maneuver ...
Neil, I'll take another look, but I don't believe the Colregs say anything about how a sailor is "feeling." In any case, there is no situation in the Colregs where the requirement to maintain a watch at all times is relaxed or cancelled, and of course we all know why there is a need to maintain a watch at all times. In addition, I don't know your standard methods but do you generally raise or lower the main while the engine is running? Are you using an autopilot? Is the vessel single-handed? Obviously there are many and varied situations.
Agreed, and the Colregs don’t always recognize our reality. You can’t comply if you single hand. You don’t want a fleet of racers on port tacks to stand off. Etc. By the way, engine “running” isn’t the standard... but if your exhaust is spitting water, you might confuse another vessel.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... engine “running” isn’t the standard...
Not sure which "standard" is being suggested, but if the engine is running, whether in gear or not, or "spitting water" or not, the vessel is under power (assuming she's neither anchored or tied to a fixed structure or mooring). Note also, Neil, that I haven't re-read the Colregs since the Regan administration, so some allowance is requested for being ancient. Regards, A
Last edited by kerrydeare on Sep 20th, '20, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... the Colregs don’t always recognize our reality. You can’t comply if you single hand ...
I think the Colregs actually do recognize "reality" but many sailor themselves do not. You and I have sailed many miles single-handed, and to be honest I have broken the rules on a number of occasions simply by being single-handed. I was perhaps a bit foolish to do so, but that's what happened.

However each time I studied the regs or reviewed them for a license, etc., I eventually concluded that they are pretty much unambiguous. What is not ambiguous, at least for me, is that many sailors (and for that matter power boat operators also) either do not understand, do not know, or do not care enough to practice them according to the letter or specific intent of the law. Further, this is the case not only with small boat operators, but with any number of presumably licensed operators of commercial vessels. I won't take up time with examples, both personal or otherwise, but they exist in abundance.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote: ... the Colregs don’t always recognize our reality. You can’t comply if you single hand ...
I think the Colregs actually do recognize "reality" but many sailor themselves do not. You and I have sailed many miles single-handed, and to be honest I have broken the rules on a number of occasions simply by being single-handed. I was perhaps a bit foolish to do so, but that's what happened.

However each time I studied the regs or reviewed them for a license, etc., I eventually concluded that they are pretty much unambiguous. What is not ambiguous, at least for me, is that many sailors (and for that matter power boat operators also) either do not understand, do not know, or do not care enough to practice them according to the letter or specific intent of the law. Further, this is the case not only with small boat operators, but with any number of presumably licensed operators of commercial vessels. I won't take up time with examples, both personal or otherwise, but they exist in abundance.
Agreed that the rules are well thought out, but there are routine violations by operators of smaller, recreational vessels. Some are "practical" violations, others are simply ignorant. Here are a few examples:

"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision." Violated often, especially when single handing, where distractions are the norm.

"Any action taken to avoid collision shall ...be positive, made in ample time and with due regard to the observance of good seamanship." This one is violated all the time, while we look and wonder "What the %&%# are they doing???"

"Any alteration of course and/or speed to avoid collision shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, be large enough to be readily apparent to another vessel observing..." The power boaters rarely get this one right!

"... when two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision each shall alter her course to starboard ..." See above "What the %&%# are they doing???"

"Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed." See above "What the %&%# are they doing???"

"A vessel [12 meters or more] proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards." Of the 40 footers I see motor sailing... NEVER.

"A vessel at anchor shall exhibit ... an all-round white light." 50/50 in the Boston Harbor Island coves... and by the way, "at anchor" includes a mooring unless specifically noted otherwise.

"Two short blasts to mean - “I intend to leave you on my starboard side.” More often, "toot, toot," e.g., "Hi there!" or otherwise see above "What the %&%# are they doing???"

Stay safe out there.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... "A vessel at anchor shall exhibit ... an all-round white light." 50/50 in the Boston Harbor Island coves... and by the way, "at anchor" includes a mooring unless specifically noted otherwise ...
Neal, you do not disappoint when it comes to chapter and well thought-out verse.

With respect to the above, there's something in there about "special anchorages" which these days usually means a regulated mooring field. I don't think I ever ran an anchor light on a mooring ball (and I mean a real anchor light) except maybe at Block Island where you sometimes cannot find your own boat at night and after, shall we say, "dinner." In Maine and similar locations (The Maritimes) moorings can be anywhere and are rarely in designated Special Anchorages, but you're not likely to see too many anchor lights employed. Of course these days many solar-powered LED devices may have altered the custom.

BTW, what does "50/50" signify?
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote: ... "A vessel at anchor shall exhibit ... an all-round white light." 50/50 in the Boston Harbor Island coves... and by the way, "at anchor" includes a mooring unless specifically noted otherwise ...
Neal, you do not disappoint when it comes to chapter and well thought-out verse.

With respect to the above, there's something in there about "special anchorages" which these days usually means a regulated mooring field. I don't think I ever ran an anchor light on a mooring ball (and I mean a real anchor light) except maybe at Block Island where you sometimes cannot find your own boat at night and after, shall we say, "dinner." In Maine and similar locations (The Maritimes) moorings can be anywhere and are rarely in designated Special Anchorages, but you're not likely to see too many anchor lights employed. Of course these days many solar-powered LED devices may have altered the custom.

BTW, what does "50/50" signify?
The light doesn't need to be on the mooring... just on the moored vessel, unless, as you say, it's designated as a special anchorage. I know that in harbors like Scituate, which is all mooring field but zero designated as special, boats won't display anchor lights, except for the few that are solar powered and automatically switch on when it gets dark. But among the Boston Harbor Islands, for example, it's dark, and not a harbor/crowded mooring field. For the protection of the moored vessel, a light is a really good idea.

50/50 is the ratio of boats with/without required anchor lights. (Note that some flip the wrong switch and just turn on their running lights.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... The light doesn't need to be on the mooring... just on the moored vessel ...
Yes, of course. I guess my phrasing led you to think I somehow attached a light to a mooring ball. Never tried that one, but maybe it would somehow keep scum and barnacles off the pennant and off my bathing suit. If it works we could be rich.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote: ... The light doesn't need to be on the mooring... just on the moored vessel ...
Yes, of course. I guess my phrasing led you to think I somehow attached a light to a mooring ball. Never tried that one, but maybe it would somehow keep scum and barnacles off the pennant and off my bathing suit. If it works we could be rich.
A mooring ball would bounce off... and the risk to the prop would be no greater than from lobster pots, I suspect. There are some big ship moorings though, that I'd rather not run into... they're generally charted, but not lit.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... There are some big ship moorings though, that I'd rather not run into... they're generally charted, but not lit.
I have actually hung off a few of these beasts at one time or another. Not such a good idea as they are huge steel monsters and the boat usually wants to snuggle up close to them and get a good whack or two, instead of just hanging downwind.
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote: ... There are some big ship moorings though, that I'd rather not run into... they're generally charted, but not lit.
I have actually hung off a few of these beasts at one time or another. Not such a good idea as they are huge steel monsters and the boat usually wants to snuggle up close to them and get a good whack or two, instead of just hanging downwind.
When wind and current are in opposition, there's a good chance the mooring ball/monster will be alongside.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Pish posh. I am going to take exception to this notion singlehanding is in violation of the COLREGS.

“Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.“

The key wording, to whit: “by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions....”

To my knowledge no one has ever been arrested or prosecuted for singlehanding—it’s not illegal. Therefore you maintain watch appropriate to the prevailing conditions and circumstances. You can’t remain vigilant 24/7. You do the best you can to be vigilant at the most important times and places. Same as horrible wx. If you are hove-to or streaming warps and green water is rolling over the deck and the skipper deems it too dangerous for crew on deck, even with multiple crew on board, no lookout is now appropriate to the circumstances and conditions. Sure, create a schedule for popping your head up for a quick 360° but the rest of the time you have no lookout. Once again, “appropriate to the conditions and circumstances.” None of this excuses you if you if you are the give way vessel....

To assist you singlehanding—you can employ active and passive AIS and or Radar if you have these systems. All “available” means, based on what you have. If you have it turned off because you don’t have the power to operate them then you are back to “appropriate to the conditions and circumstances.”

I suppose you could be prosecuted on the grounds you chose poorly when and where not to be vigilant but that applies to multi crewed boats too.

I agree many sailors don’t know the rules and/or don’t follow them if they do and that is significantly more dangerous than singlehanding.

Singlehanding offshore is the last opportunity to come as close as possible on Earth to being the master of all you survey and beholden to no one. Yes, you might get run down and killed but that’s a choice you make. There is no way to live 100 percent risk free. Choose how to live your life.

Happy sailing.