need a working jib for Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

radsailor

need a working jib for Typhoon Weekender

Post by radsailor »

I have a 155 genoa that came with the boat. As Autumn approaches, I am thinking of getting a 110 jib to make sailing in the winter easier(I live in Southern,VA so lots of nice days in the Winter)and also to use on windier days to point higher and heel less.

Question #1: Is this a good idea or a waste of money
Question #2: If a good idea, any recommendations for a sailmaker in the Southern Chesapeake area familiar with the Typhoon Weekender ? I have asked the local sailmaker for a quote but after 3+ weeks haven't heard back
Question#3:If the sailmaker is familiar with the boat will it still be necessary for him/her to come and measure ? I have a Harken furler with the genoa attached to luff wire by snaps. No luff groove. I can raise and lower the sail with the halyard (after some re rigging). Since the 110 will have a shorter luff, I would think it hard to mess up.

If any of the Typhooners on the Rappahannock have recommendations, I would appreciate hearing from them.
sloopjohnl

Re: need a working jib for Typhoon Weekender

Post by sloopjohnl »

a 110 or 100 working jib is a great idea. with a full main you can easily sail in 12 to 15 knots. with a single reef in the main you can do 15 to 20 no problem. i have sailed in that configuration with gusts up to 30 just for the challenge and not the ease of sailing!!!!
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Great Idea, we sail the lower Chesapeake and in the Winter and Spring we very often reef the mail and use the staysail only. My wife is not as brave healing when the water temp is in the 40s and 50s. :D
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
billsimmeth

Post by billsimmeth »

I concur with the other respondents. But, you mention that you have a furler with a 155. Why not just partially unfurl to replicate the size of a 100 or 110? That's what we do. We sail out of Fishing Bay and enjoyed a Saturday morning sail in the build-up to Laura's passage (10-15 knots) with the headsail at about 110.

If you do decide to get one made, I recommend Latell's in Deltaville. They know Typhoon's intimately -- they enter a boat in the Nationals every time. If that's who you've tried, they do get slammed this time of year. Just call and politely prod them. Good people.

Finally, if you're set on a dedicated jib, I have a 110 with snaps that we used before installing the furler. You're welcome to borrow it for the winter to see how you like the sail plan.
Bill Simmeth - Delaplane, VA
TyWe 1176 "Whisper" - Fishing Bay, VA

Only dead fish go with the flow.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

billsimmeth wrote:I concur with the other respondents. But, you mention that you have a furler with a 155. Why not just partially unfurl to replicate the size of a 100 or 110? That's what we do. We sail out of Fishing Bay and enjoyed a Saturday morning sail in the build-up to Laura's passage (10-15 knots) with the headsail at about 110.

If you do decide to get one made, I recommend Latell's in Deltaville. They know Typhoon's intimately -- they enter a boat in the Nationals every time. If that's who you've tried, they do get slammed this time of year. Just call and politely prod them. Good people.

Finally, if you're set on a dedicated jib, I have a 110 with snaps that we used before installing the furler. You're welcome to borrow it for the winter to see how you like the sail plan.
Your offer is incredibly generous. I would be afraid to use your jib just on the off chance I would somehow damage it. The Harken small boat furler that I have is not to be used for "reefing" according to Harken web site. Don't know why. No luff foil. The genoa is attached directly to the headstay. The genoa usually does not roll up evenly anyway so reefing this particular sail is not much of an option.

I have been in contact with Jerry Latell and hopefully he can help me out. The more local sailmaker wants $1100 to make the new sail which I think is exorbitant. Maybe I am out of touch. Any thoughts on that ? Online, I can get it for a few hundred dollars. I know the quality may be questionable, but triple the price is quite a jump.
billsimmeth

Post by billsimmeth »

Well, the offer stands. It's old but in good condition. Since our boat has been a "summer boat" here and on Cape Cod with previous owner, it's been in a lot of light air, so the jib hasn't been used much. I doubt I'll ever use it again and the only reason I don't sell it is I'm pretty sure it's original to the boat. There's a stamp: "Made exclusively for Cape Dory" with the old Cape Dory oar logo. Kinda cool.

Anyway, $1100 does seem high for a 110. For reference, Jerry made our 155 furling genny and installed it and the furler. For the sail itself he charged me just under $700. I placed my order during his end-of-season sale. Only caveat is you probably won't get the sail until spring.
Bill Simmeth - Delaplane, VA
TyWe 1176 "Whisper" - Fishing Bay, VA

Only dead fish go with the flow.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

Thanks for telling me what Gerry charged. I think the local guy is trying to high ball me.
Coincidentally I tore the leech of the genoa just before the start of the race last evening. I hope I can repair myself. Now I don't trust the local guy.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

Just want to let you know that Jerry's quote is just a tad more than one half of the local guy and Jerry knows the Typhoon.

It's a no brainer.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

radsailor wrote:Just want to let you know that Jerry's quote is just a tad more than one half of the local guy and Jerry knows the Typhoon.

It's a no brainer.
Unless you're absolutely set on a nearby sail maker, I highly recommend Precision Sails.
They made a great set of sail for my CD28 at a very reasonable price, but I did order during their late autumn/pre-winter discount time frame. If you do contact them, check with Ron McInnis & tell him Michael said "Hi!"
Last edited by mgphl52 on Sep 11th, '20, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
RLW

Post by RLW »

I have a Precision main on my TY. I couldn’t justify the threefold cost of a name brand locally built sail, as this is not my primary boat. It’s a great sail at a great price. I like it enough that a Precision 110 jib is on its way to me via USPS. Might get it tomorrow.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

billsimmeth wrote:I concur with the other respondents. But, you mention that you have a furler with a 155. Why not just partially unfurl to replicate the size of a 100 or 110? That's what we do. We sail out of Fishing Bay and enjoyed a Saturday morning sail in the build-up to Laura's passage (10-15 knots) with the headsail at about 110.

Just got notified by Latell sailmakers. My new jib is ready ! That must be a record turnaround time. Picking up tomorrow am.
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

Beautiful sailing today on the York River. Wind ~10-15. My new 110 jib from Jerry Latell in Deltaville is very very nice. And as I sail solo, it is much easier to handle than the 155 genoa.
Tacks are smooth and the boat always feels under control. Furls easily.
Jerry has followed up with suggestions on trim.
Great service all around.