Yanmar YSB8 Shutdown

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

Yanmar YSB8 Shutdown

Post by jneely »

Due to operator error I ran my Yanmar YSB8 for about twenty minutes with the cooling water intake seacock closed. The engine stopped running on its own. Does that engine have an automatic overheat shutdown? The only damage I seem to have done is that the water pump impeller was chewed up. I replaced it and changed the oil and the engine seems to be running well. There is no steam in the exhaust and my mechanic said the old oil was free of water and did not smell burned. Any advice as to what I should be looking for to be sure things are OK?
mgphl52

Re: Yanmar YSB8 Shutdown

Post by mgphl52 »

Most likely the engine seized up from over heating. Carefully check your exhaust hose for heat damage (soft spots, etc.) since there was no water mixed with the hot exhaust.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

oh hell ... look on the bright side ... maybe you just burned out 40 years of glaze/crud/carbon .. !! ??

My original YSB had an "I'm too damn hot" alarm in the control panel ... and it was pretty loud. Guess yours was MIA. Maybe you should fix or get one? I was not aware of any auto-shutdown mechanism.

If it's running just pay close attention to oil consumption for a while.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
jneely

Post by jneely »

Thanks for the replies. Good info.
Larry McAnally

Post by Larry McAnally »

Hopefully you got lucky and the impeller was the only casualty. Certainly could have damaged the head or gasket. These are tough little engines. I agree with Fred that you should consider adding or repairing the alarm. There should be an auditable alarm at the engine control panel with a sending unit for temperature and for oil pressure. You might get away with over heating but you won't do so well if you lose oil pressure.
If you're going to close the cooling water seacock (l dont) you might want to keep your ignition key on the seacock.
Larry McAnally
CD36 CHANTY
CD27 WINDCHASER
Past Fleet Captain Central Gulf Fleet
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Larry McAnally wrote: If you're going to close the cooling water seacock (l dont) you might want to keep your ignition key on the seacock.
I did this briefly back in 2004... Came home from business trip to prep for hurricane Ivan.
When I tried to back KAYLA out of her slip so she would bow-first to the winds, I couldn't find my key!
Completely forgot about the raw water sea cock, etc...
Fortunately, she rode Ivan fine & better than some other boats in the marina as can be seen in these pics:
KAYLA and her first hurricane in Niceville.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!