Bad Feeling

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Bad Feeling

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Sometimes you just get a bad feeling about something. This system SW of the Cape Verde Islands has my neck hairs itching. Not good. :( :( :(

Everyone from Brownsville, Tx. to Cape Cod, Ma., should pay attention to this one. Hopefully, I'm wrong, very wrong, but..............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Bad Feeling

Post by moctrams »

It will depend upon the Coriolis effect and the steering winds. I read book by a meteorologists that devastated Texas. Jerks at the National Weather Service thought the Cubans were incompetent. The Cubans told the NWS it was coming into the Gulf. Why are some folks so arrogant?
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Sometimes you just get a bad feeling about something. This system SW of the Cape Verde Islands has my neck hairs itching. Not good. :( :( :(

Everyone from Brownsville, Tx. to Cape Cod, Ma., should pay attention to this one. Hopefully, I'm wrong, very wrong, but..............

Roberto, I wonder if there is an American expat community living in the Cape Verde islands. Except for sand storms, all this stuff takes place west of them....
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This is definitely NOT what you want to see in a "spaghetti map" if you live in South Florida. With current course and speed, this storm will be near Miami Mon/Tue of next week with a projected 984 millibar pressure (Cat. 1).

Things could certainly change significantly over the next 7-8 days, and I certainly hope so. However, at this time my thoughts are:

Yikes :!: :!: :!: :!: :( :( :( :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Roberto,

Maybe it's time for you to remove that bullseye you must have somewhere :?: :?: :?:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Roberto,

Looks like ya may have a chance to meet up 98L, but I hope not! If it happens, I sure hope it's a gentle encounter!

--michael
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Hmmmmm
Bill Member #250.
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Roberto,

You get three swings before you're out.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Capt Hook wrote:You get three swings before you're out.
First pitch looks low and away...
97L_gefs_latest.png
but I sure don't like the wind-up for pitch 2 :!: :!: :!:
98L_gefs_latest.png
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

Miami as well as Tampa are long overdue for a storm.
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Here's the latest.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.s ... t#contents

This only shows it becoming an "S."
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Capt Hook wrote:Here's the latest.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.s ... t#contents

This only shows it becoming an "S."
No doubt the weather channel will do their best to whip everyone into a frenzy.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Well, the Weather Channel has got me in a bit of a frenzy. As we all know the NHC/NOAA is very good at predicting the course of a hurricane but are still in the embryonic stages of understanding how to more accurately predict wind strength along a known path.

The waters SE of South Florida are warm, very warm, 85 degrees warm :!: :!: There is plenty of time and warm water for this system (TD 13 but soon it will be called TS "Laura" and then H "Laura") to bulk up to hurricane force strength in a matter of days.

I had a bad feeling about this system several days ago. Now, the hair on the back of my neck is raised and itching. Not good :( :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Well, the Weather Channel has got me in a bit of a frenzy. As we all know the NHC/NOAA is very good at predicting the course of a hurricane but are still in the embryonic stages of understanding how to more accurately predict wind strength along a known path.

The waters SE of South Florida are warm, very warm, 85 degrees warm :!: :!: There is plenty of time and warm water for this system (TD 13 but soon it will be called TS "Laura" and then H "Laura") to bulk up to hurricane force strength in a matter of days.

I had a bad feeling about this system several days ago. Now, the hair on the back of my neck is raised and itching. Not good :( :(
Well, you are a lot closer to this one than we are Roberto. I used to really enjoy watching the wx channel. But the over the last couple years it seems they have leaned heavily on click bait coverage. But, Mark Elliot and his cohost on the WX channel are the worst at hurricane coverage. They must have orders to over dramatize any storm to increase ratings. Those two take storm coverage to a whole new level. “Folks you have to be prepared. We could see incredible wind. Maybe even gusts to as much as 40 mph.wind like that will blow the pine needles out of your yard. It could even rain. We might get a whole inch or may even two inches of rain. There could be puddles of water on some roads. But stay tuned to the weather channel and we will walk you through how to be prepared for this historic storm.”

This one does not have me worried like Dorian or Florence. But, you never know. Regardless, I’ll stick with NHC or tropical tidbits evening hurricane wx forecast or even Chris Parker.

Fingers crossed.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I'm with John on basically ignoring the weather channel!
"Mike's Weather Page" has far better data and more up to date maps.

And many thanks Roberto for turning me on to that site!

Hoping for the best for all of us and that Roberto does not need a genset to keep his Guinness cold!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL