CD 25 Off Shore Capabilities

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

kerrydeare

Re: CD 25 Off Shore Capabilities

Post by kerrydeare »

Neil Gordon wrote: ... Our grandfathers made successful landfall following an ocean crossing. That's impressive, no?
That's impressive, yes! And we're here today still talking about it.

Hope you and the family are doing well, and that you still recall the sailing lessons you gave me in the Boston Harbor Islands (ten years ago this summer).

Regards,

Armond
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

kerrydeare wrote:Hope you and the family are doing well, and that you still recall the sailing lessons you gave me in the Boston Harbor Islands (ten years ago this summer).
We're doing fine, and yes, I remember well.

Nice to see your name pop up on various reviews, e.g., Active Captain... was just leaving some as Laura and I are just back from 25 days out.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sorry I'm late to this thread, as I have been sailing on Buzzards Bay for more than 50 years, in a 25D since 2003.

Yes, your 25 should be fine, even on BBay's southwest winds and "square waves." Remember to tuck in a reef at about 15 knots, and pay attention to the currents as well as the winds.

I've sailed from Squeteague Harbor, near the upper end of the bay, to Cuttyhunk and the Vineyard many times. I have never tried Cannatipset Channel, largely because the tides or currents have not been favorable whenever I contemplated the trip.

These past weeks of brutal heat have made sailing on Buzzards Bay especially demanding: The warm air pumping from the south has generated gusts well over 30 knots. These conditions are usually restricted to a few days in late July and early August, but they might be the new normal. Your 25 sails better than my 25D, because it has less freeboard, and therefore less windage. Unfortunately, that means you will likely get wetter if you've been sailing on the Bay during the past couple of weeks.

Getting wet may be uncomfortable for you, but your Cape Dory can handle it!

Enjoy. Sailing is the best way to ride out this crisis of "social distancing."

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
FarrellTed

Post by FarrellTed »

I took my Typhoon from West Falmouth to Cuttyhunk by way of Mattapoisett a couple of years ago. Be sure to bring supplies, the island doesn't have a lot in the way of restaurants or stores. It's a dry island but BYOB is allowed. Visit the Gosnold monument in West End pond, the old bunkers on the hilltop, and the historical society if open.

It's a great little voyage. A NW wind works great to get there, and in summer it will often haul around to the SW soon enough for the ride home the next day.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

FarrellTed wrote:I took my Typhoon from West Falmouth to Cuttyhunk by way of Mattapoisett a couple of years ago. Be sure to bring supplies, the island doesn't have a lot in the way of restaurants or stores. It's a dry island but BYOB is allowed. Visit the Gosnold monument in West End pond, the old bunkers on the hilltop, and the historical society if open.

It's a great little voyage. A NW wind works great to get there, and in summer it will often haul around to the SW soon enough for the ride home the next day.
The Historical Society is closed due to Covid, and the library is being rebuilt. The Market is open... call or text and they bring your order to the street. They're short of lots of things but functioning. Lobster, tacos, ice cream, mussels/steamers, and oysters are available on the fish dock, and the cafe on the fish dock is open for coffee and pastry in the morning.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

A slip mate returned from CH Sunday evening (in all that wind) and said there were 60 boats anchored outside the harbor and almost completely full inside. They had a reserved ball. Oy ! Maybe the high number was just boats hiding out from really strong winds, but also in high season CH (and Block Island) get mobbed on weekends.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

fmueller wrote:A slip mate returned from CH Sunday evening (in all that wind) and said there were 60 boats anchored outside the harbor and almost completely full inside. They had a reserved ball.
I didn't know it was possible to reserve a ball at CH. I guess I haven't been there recently.

BTW, technically the harbor is the region outside the twin jetties, while the "pond" is the inner harbor that was compared with a trailer park by somebody on this thread.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:
fmueller wrote:A slip mate returned from CH Sunday evening (in all that wind) and said there were 60 boats anchored outside the harbor and almost completely full inside. They had a reserved ball.
I didn't know it was possible to reserve a ball at CH. I guess I haven't been there recently.

BTW, technically the harbor is the region outside the twin jetties, while the "pond" is the inner harbor that was compared with a trailer park by somebody on this thread.

--Joe
Moorings remain first come, first served.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

Someone talks with David Omick and his wife aboard an engineless CD 25 in the Marquesas, after their crossing from San Diego. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGO8Z29H2c

David Omick's web page about his CD 25: http://www.omick.net/adventure/sailing/ ... shore.html
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Tod Mills wrote:Someone talks with David Omick and his wife aboard an engineless CD 25 in the Marquesas, after their crossing from San Diego. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGO8Z29H2c

David Omick's web page about his CD 25: http://www.omick.net/adventure/sailing/ ... shore.html
WOW! I didn't check the links, but I can only imagine they have a marriage made in heaven... (yea, I'm also jealous!)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

As other's have said, the CD25 is completely capable of this; it depends on the crew. I took mine all over MA Bay from Quincy to Boston to Isles of Shoals.
At Cuttyhunk, do look out for a charted, but unmarked rock in the anchorage. We watched a 65 foot schooner hit it in 2018.
Jeff
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

A Seafarer 22 on Buzzard's Bay when I was returning from Cuttyhunk to Fair Haven aboard my Montgomery 17, and there we are at Vineyard Haven and there is a 25.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tod Mills
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

mgphl52 wrote: ... I can only imagine they have a marriage made in heaven...
... and a daily life made in hell. Speaking from the perspective of my eighth decade I would not readily volunteer for this ride, and that view is engendered from many sea miles in a small boat. Please feel free to contradict, but only if you yourself have made this or a very similar voyage in a very similar small engine-less sailboat.
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

kerrydeare wrote:
mgphl52 wrote: ... I can only imagine they have a marriage made in heaven...
... and a daily life made in hell. Speaking from the perspective of my eighth decade I would not readily volunteer for this ride, and that view is engendered from many sea miles in a small boat. Please feel free to contradict, but only if you yourself have made this or a very similar voyage in a very similar small engine-less sailboat.
You'll love this then....a 4m boat a French guy sailed across the Atlantic, then across Panama via trailer as the boat was not allowed to transit the canal, and on to Tahiti, where apparently they are at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxkAlzhqmx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhEscGIpQwE

Then too, there is Sven Yrvind, who recently set out on another trip from Norway: https://www.yrvind.com/
Tod Mills
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Well, Chris there is ample evidence in this thread that your 25D is capable, no doubt about that. The comments remind me of the question I was asked by my cousin when I first showed him my 25D. He asked “can this boat go across the Atlantic?” I answered “Yes, but I cannot, I am afraid of the ocean”

You stimulated quite a discussion on this board, an entertaining one at that. FW
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)