Changing jibs on windy days

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Changing jibs on windy days

Post by Joe Myerson »

The past few weeks have seen some really strong southwest winds on Buzzards Bay, generated by the hot air pumping up from the south. Some days the afternoon gusts have exceeded 30 knots. I've been trying to get at least a few hours of sailing nearly every day, although sometimes the low tides and high winds have made that difficult. (I've had one bad grounding--which is par for the course trying to leave my mooring in Squeteague Harbor on a falling tide.)

For several days in a row, I've been sailing with two reefs in my main, and my beautiful brand new 135 genny has been rolled up to about 110% or even less. Because of this, I decided yesterday to try using my old working jib.

The wind was already howling when I got to the mooring yesterday. I wrestled the genoa down, luckily not suffering a broken jaw or black eye in the process. Because the sail is new, thick and smooth, I wasn't able to fold it and roll it properly. In fact, I had to wrestle with the sail, jamming it partway into the bag, which wouldn't even fit through the bulkhead between my forward compartment and the main cabin.

Putting up the little jib was easy enough.

Does anybody have any tips on how to bring down and store a large, heavy sail in high winds?

Oh, of course, today's winds are forecast to be much more moderate.

Thanks, all.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
fmueller

Re: Changing jibs on windy days

Post by fmueller »

I have the same problem Joe ... suggestion :

In the cockpit release the furling line, figure 8 it so it will run free, before you unroll the jib run one sheet*** inside the shrouds and back to your winch, take a turn, and then as far forward as you can, release the jib halyard before you unroll the jib, then start unrolling the jib with the rerouted inside sheet. You can be pretty close to the mast when you start.

Usually you can get most of the jib unrolled even though the lower shrouds will impede full deployment. The idea is to stretch the foot of the jib out inside the shrouds and lifelines alongside the coach roof as the sail unrolls and then begins to drop. You'll have to "encourage" complete unrolling then stretch the foot with the sheet. Timing the drop to the swing of the boat on the mooring/wind angle helps

If windy bring a few sail ties. I find I can almost semi flake the sail down between the coach roof and lifelines and shrouds, but my jib is a high clew 115/120%. Then you take the sheets off and roll from the clew forward using knees to compact. Leave the tack on until you get most of the sail rolled up. The ties may come in temporarily handy if you need a break.

This process usually works better for me than just dropping it all in a pile on the foredeck. Last few times I did this there was a minimum of sailor vocabulary and I actually got the sail into its bag.

*** I use the port sheet because my jib halyard is port-side.

We have had so much wind I haven't had the big jib on yet. Really appreciating the way my boat handles with 100% flying instead of 115/120%. I know there are many threads about the utility of roller furled gennys, but oh boy, when its snotty, a 100%/working jib is what you want because that little jib really comes into its own, you can point higher and the higher pointing helps even a furled main be more of a foil with less windage. I can't believe how well my boat "drives" in 20+ knots apparent with one reef in the main and everything is just so chill. I don't miss the genoa speed until wind is below 8 knots, and even then, not really a big deal ... not as big a deal as confidence in heavy(er) air.
Last edited by fmueller on Jul 31st, '20, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Thanks, Fred.

I tried some of those steps, but I tried to use my winch, after passing the port jib sheet around a rear stanchion, as I released the furling line. That didn't work--the winch kept binding. The sail tie is a really good idea. I'll keep that in mind.

You usually get the same kind of wind conditions in Narragansett Bay as we get in Buzzards--minus the "square waves."

Today, of course, we've got almost no wind. But there's a tropical storm on the horizon for mid-week.

Stay safe,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Man we have had some really strong stuff. But with the small jib on I’ve become much more relaxed about it

Oh and I forgot to say, if you get the sail down as described, more or less, you can pull the head back to the clew before you start rolling up from the clew forward. That helps.

I’m gonna head for Nantucket around mid August. Probably RIYC to Dutch to Cuddy to E Town to Nantucket ...

I’ll give a shout around then.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

When I bought my boat, which had hank-on headsails, there was only one jib worth converting to roller-furling, and that was the 100%, so I sailed with that for several years. But since getting a genny (this is my second), I haven't flown it.

On the 25D, the smaller set of jib tracks aren't on the coach roof, but on the side decks near the portholes. I hope I can remember how to thread the sheets--I believe they go outside the first shroud and inside the other two.

Good tips, thanks again.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Fred and Joe,

Unrelated to changing jib, but related to wind on Narragansett Bay. Hit personal best of 6.3 knots (briefly) SOG this week. 1 reef in main with genoa out full. I believe theoretical hull speed for the 27 is 6.0. Fred, that red hull must be making you even faster. :?
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Yay! you're out and about ... we have to hook up ... I'll just start texting you when I'm out on the bay ... that new paint is slippery I bet ...

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Fred,
We recently had one day of "normal," winds, so I switched back to my genny. I used a sail tie to keep the luff folded and was able to put it into the bag with the head, tack and clew all visible. Thanks for the tip!

And Walter, I often sailed with full genoa and partially reefed mainsail. In fact, since getting my brand new genny, which seems to drive the boat beautifully, I usually have to tuck a reef in the main even before 15 knots.

The other day, while returning to my anchorage on a strong beam reach, I was clocking 6.5 knots SOG, while surfing down the swells. For a sluggish 25D that's darn good, and lots of fun!

Stay safe all!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627