Larry Pardey Has Died

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Larry Pardey Has Died

Post by John Stone »

Very bad news. Larry passed away yesterday. I was a big fan of his. I owe him a lot. He spent time encouraging my wire splicing. He reviewed and gave me some guidance on mods I made to the Far Reach. He called me a couple times from New Zealand to walk me through several wood working issues since he did not like to email. Certainly his was a life well lived. I used some of his patterns to have parts casts in bronze for the Far Reach—kranze iron, hawes holes, anchor bow rollers, dinghy chock brackets, saloon table stanchion brackets for the gimbaled oil lamps.

I’ll definitely be raising a few to his memory tonight.

Very sad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Jul 27th, '20, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
mgphl52

Re: Larry Pardey Dead

Post by mgphl52 »

Very sad indeed.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

A true legend and decent fellow over the bar.
Paul
CDSOA Member
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Thanks for posting ... his world was the whole world ... especially the watery parts. Some just can't be captured by one bay or one coast or even one ocean.

After their journeys Lin and Larry settled here just north of Aukland ...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kawau ... 74.8620054
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: Larry Pardey Has Died

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

A great loss. But he will live on in the many, many sailors he inspired to do more and go more.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

John Stone wrote: ... Larry passed away yesterday ... a life well lived ...
I cannot say I ever met Larry in person other than through his and his wife's books. The books encouraged many young sailors including me to embrace the idea of sailing as adventure. It happens that I encountered Serrafyn by accident near Sausalito a long time ago and managed to hail a ride on San Francisco Bay. I came away wondering why any normal person would even consider sailing around the world in such a vessel, but then, "different ships, different long splices."

Rest in peace, you eternally young man.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

kerrydeare wrote:It happens that I encountered Serrafyn by accident near Sausalito a long time ago and managed to hail a ride on San Francisco Bay. I came away wondering why any normal person would even consider sailing around the world in such a vessel.
Why do you say that?
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

John Stone wrote:
kerrydeare wrote: ... I encountered Serrafyn ... near Sausalito ... and managed to hail a ride on San Francisco Bay. I came away wondering why any normal person would even consider sailing around the world in such a vessel.
Why do you say that?
I was speaking only for myself based on my own needs and my own sailing experiences. Attempting a circumnavigation or even an extended cruise without machinery makes little or no sense to me, although the Pardey books romanticized it in a way that many of us really enjoyed (the book that is, not the actual trip). BTW, all their books are still on my shelves.

For example, lying offshore for days in a calm after an extended passage, rather than motoring into a safe harbor and setting an anchor in relative comfort, is not my idea of fun and doesn't make me feel particularly virtuous. I have been forced into such a situation in the past and would not like to do it again. I thought I addressed this in my original post ("different ships ... "), but maybe not.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Well I wasn’t sure exactly what drove your comment. I actually thought it was because Seraffyn was small. Thanks for clarifying.

I’d say no question most people agree with you. But Larry did not view the type of cruising he and Lin were doing as a “lifestyle” like so many people who are out sailing these days. He viewed it as a sport and for the sport to be worthwhile it had to be challenging. What could be more challenging than engineless cruising? Not much I’d say. And he didn’t like working on mechanical systems or dealing with wiring, circuits, and the smell of diesel. Amen to that. But you’re right...it’s hard. No doubt about it.

He and Lin as a team are probably the most competent and skilled small boat sailors of my lifetime. Maybe in the last 150 years. They sailed the boats they built over 250,000 miles all without an engine or electronic navigation. Two circumnavigations, one east-about, and the other via all the great capes. They never lost a boat, were dismasted, or piled one up on a reef, e.g. Moitessier, Roth, Hiscock, Smeeton, Slocom, etc. (all legendary sailors).

So sure, absolutely, their approach to sailing is not for 99.9 percent of the people out there sailing today but they sailed exactly the way they wanted. And they were perfectly matched for one another. Pretty rare. We should all be so fortunate and courageous to live the life we really want (whatever that life is) instead of something less. I am reminded of that great quote by Thoreau, “Most men live lives of quiet desperation and go to their grave with the song still in them.”

Anyway, for those that have not read it, I highly recommend Herb McCormick’s great biography in the Pardey’s, As Long as Its Fun. A no holds barred bio, warts and all. They had an amazing life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote: We should all be so fortunate and courageous to live the life we really want (whatever that life is) instead of something less.
Ain't that the truth! Well stated, John, as you always are! :)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!