1979 Typhoon Weekender has a buyer.

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
mhorton44

1979 Typhoon Weekender has a buyer.

Post by mhorton44 »

Took this wonderful little boat on as a winter restoration project last year and it is now back to the way it should be. New sails this year include main, genoa with foam luff padding on new CDI furler and an Asymm spinnaker. Also has a smaller jib, plus the original sails from 1979. Torqeedo 1003 outboard with bags for battery and motor. All new cabin and cockpit cushions. All new canvas includes covers for main, outboard, winches and tiller. 12-volt system completely rewired and new control panel, LED nav lights, 32 AH battery and solar charger panel. Teak and holly flooring. Cockpit drain stopcocks replaced with ball valves and new hoses so the toilet plunger is now not needed. Igloo cooler and porta potti yet to be used.
Coaming boards and all trim was removed, varnished and rebedded, except for toe and rub rails which are sanded and treated with Semco.
This boat was a delight to restore to its original condition and a tribute to the Cape Dory name. Now I understand why there are still so many Typhoons being sailed regularly after 40 years or more. Hull and topsides only needed polish and wax after 10 years of neglect, but we did replace the nonskid with Kiwigrip.
Trailer was rust proofed and painted and has new wheels, tires, waterproof LED lights and wiring. Waiting since May on Maryland MVA for VIN number, so it is not yet licensed for road use.

More photos at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xgni9v8kgfdi ... zzOsa?dl=0

Location is Edgewater, MD and asking price is $7,750.
Attachments
IMG_1987.jpeg
IMG_1987.jpeg (4.56 MiB) Viewed 591 times
IMG_2112.jpeg
IMG_2112.jpeg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 591 times
IMG_1998.jpeg
IMG_1998.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 591 times
Last edited by mhorton44 on Jul 31st, '20, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
wikakaru

Re: My 1979 Typhoon Weekender is for sale

Post by wikakaru »

Very nicely done restoration. I wish this boat had been on the market when I bought my Typhoon! It's a good buy for someone who wants a turn-key Typhoon instead of a project boat. I'm sure you won't have any problem selling her.

Good luck,

Jim
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Indeed, nicely restored and a very nice price for that package!

I'm curious, where does the battery live? In one of the cabin compartments?
ty3

Post by ty3 »

Beautiful restoration and am sure it will sell quickly.

Curious where you found the organizer hanging below to the left of your hatch -- looks quite useful! Also wondering who did the electrical work?

Hope you're sailing her in the meantime!

Ty3
mhorton44

Post by mhorton44 »

Battery fits nicely in the starboard locker alongside the porta potty. Just needed some slight trimming of the plastic battery box. I made the organizer from scrap sunbrella from the covers. Took about 20 minutes and is very useful
mhorton44

Post by mhorton44 »

Definitely sailing her when the heat wave allows. Taking this boat out made me realize how much I missed the connection to the wind and water through the tiller and sheets. As a result I sold my 32 ft Dufour and am buying a Tartan Fantail Weekender to get that connection back and have room to take family out in a larger cockpit. So it is time for the Typhoon to go to someone who will use her regularly