Cape Dory 300 MS pilot house windows

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tburkett

Cape Dory 300 MS pilot house windows

Post by tburkett »

Hello,

The starboard pilothouse sliding window literally explode in my hand while opening it today :( Has anyone replace their pilothouse windows? I just need to replace the sliding section but it looks like I’ll have to remove the entire window to do so.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: Cape Dory 300 MS pilot house windows

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Tom that happened to me two years ago. Actually it was my grandson while he was opening the window. Sounded like someone dumped a cooler full of ice cubes on the floor.

You can use the opposite side glass to get the correct measurements of the piece you need. The sliding glass will lift up out of the tracks. Sort of like a sliding patio door or screen. Lift up and pull out the bottom. Rather than taking out the opposite side piece, I just measured the other side in place, guessing at how much into upper frame the piece extended. I had a temporary piece made out of acrylic or plexi glass at a hardware store that got me through the season keeping the weather out. A glass guy that does marine work replaced the glass in the fall after the boat was on the hard.

Good luck

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
tburkett

Post by tburkett »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I’m planning on doing the same- use a piece of polycarbonate to get through the season and then get some glass cut. Glad to know that the glass easily lifts out.

I was amazed how loud and how many pieces the glass broke into. It took over an hour to clean everything up and I was still finding pieces the next day.

Tom
Joe CD MS 300

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Tom I still find a piece occasionally. Was it the forward piece or the rear? Just found my measurements for the forward piece. if you need them.

How are you enjoying your MS300? Not many around.
tburkett

Post by tburkett »

Hi Joe,

It as the rear piece. Luckily I had a piece of polycarbonate that I cut to fit for a temp. replacement. That will give me some time to get a glass replacement.

I am enjoying the MS300. I’ve been gradually updating the systems and getting to know the boat. I didn’t get to use it much last summer as my wife and I took a four month rv trip up to Alaska. So far this summer it’s been mostly day sailing and a couple of overnights on the Chesapeake. I’d like to take her on some longer trips but that will have to wait till this COVID crisis is under control.

The boat is really spacious and the cockpit perfect for lounging on the hook and taking a swim. She’s not the fastest boat I’ve owned, but if I need to get somewhere in a hurry I just fire up that big diesel. All in all a perfect boat for the kind of sailing we do.

I’m not active on this forum but check it from time to time. I’m surprised I don’t see more posts about the MS300 here.

Tom
Joe CD MS 300

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Does your MS 300 still have the jib boom? Its the only modification the PO made that I'd like to reverse. I believe that it was removed to facilitate the installation of a windlass. The best modification the PO made was the construction of teak lazeretts in place of those little fold down seats. At the stern there is a removable transom seat between the two lazeretts. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. It created a huge amount of lounging room tons more storage. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Do you still have the original Westerbeke 46 engine. I had to repower about seven years back and went with a Westerbeke 55. I had the plastic ports that were replaced with New Found Metals bronze ports. Not the traditional Cape Dory oval shape but a perfect replacement fit for the plastic ports. Added radar and chartplotter in 2006 which just were replaced this past winter. The rest of what I have done has been mostly maintenance or repairs.

What I'm facing now is a decision on whether to keep the CNG system or convert to propane. The CNG tank replacement locations are gone but I did find a place that will refill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tburkett

Post by tburkett »

Hi Joe,

Yes, I still have the jib boom. I wasn’t sure about it at first but am starting to get used to it- it certainly makes tacking a breeze. The PO raised the tack end with a bunch of fender washers to enable it to pass over the windlass. I’m headed to the boat tomorrow so will take some pictures.

Those teak boxes look really nice, something to think about.

I still have the W46. I did a considerable amount of work on the engine an running gear when I first got her; new shaft, cutlass bearing, shaft seal, engine mounts, fresh water pump, raw water pump, fuel pump, reconditioned the injectors, glow plugs, new fuel line, front end oil seal, gaskets, hoses, acid washed the heat exchanger and flushed the cooling system. She’s got 3400 hrs on her but still tight and runs like a champ. I considered repowering but based on the feedback from my mechanic who looked her over before I bought her decided not to. I’m actually more concerned with the fuel tank at this point. It looks to be in good shape, but if it corrodes through since I would have to pull the engine to replace the tank I’ll revisit repowering at that time.

I also completely redid the DC system - pretty much everything before the panel. I put in 4 6V Trojans in a new battery box under the aft settee seat for a house bank and added an inverter, smart charger and battery monitor, along with fusing everything to bring it up to ABYC standards. I still have the emergency start battery located in the engine compartment but wanted to get the house bank as far from the engine heat as I could. I started on the AC system by replacing the shore power plug with a smart plug. I’m putting in a galvanic isolator and ELCI but haven’t figured out exactly where to mount them. I have to either move the shore power receptive or find a way to mount the ELCI so that it’s within 10 ft of the plug.

I’ve also done a bunch of little things. I replaced the glass in the port lights ( I have ABI bronze port) since they had become cloudy and the plastic laminate was deteriorating. I found a source for replacements that were advertised to fit the ABI ports but they were off. Luckily I found a glass cutter that made me some custom windows that fit perfectly and were cheaper than the off the shelf versions.

I still have a bunch to do, I’m mounting some stern davits this week for the fatty knees dinghy I have, and I’ll probably replace the standing rigging and a new furler next winter. I haven’t started on electronics yet, but do want to add radar and AIS send / receive.

If you haven’t figured it out by now I like working on boats almost as much as sailing them. And being recently retired it’s a nice project that keeps me busy. :D

Tom