Spartan seacock wrench - worth it?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

S/V Ethan Grey

Spartan seacock wrench - worth it?

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Is the Spartan seacock wrench worth the extra $37 than just getting the lapping compound & grease?

I do have the bronze stuffing box wrenches (bought by the previous owner) and I must say they are fantastic to have. Didn't know if the Spartan wrench was worth it. Better yet, does someone have one laying around they want to get rid of?
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
Steve Laume

Re: Spartan seacock wrench - worth it?

Post by Steve Laume »

Having a wrench that works for adjusting your seacocks is worth it.

I took an old combination wrench, cut the box end off and rounded the cut off end. Then I took the cheeks of the open end to a belt sander with coarse grit and ground them down to a thickness that would work. When I was satisfied, I gave the bare metal a good spray of cold galvanize compound. The wrench has worked great and it cost me nothing other than some stuff I had around.

If you don't have an old wrench you might find one at a flea market or yard sale. They are usually very cheap.

If you have more money than time and tools then I would think the Spartan wrench would be worth it. Steve.