CD30C bilge design

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

samgoucher

CD30C bilge design

Post by samgoucher »

1984 Cape Dory 30C "To The Moon". Inspecting the bilge pump today with an inch left after running. Moving aft to just fwd of the engine room is another inspection fitting opening into a waaayyy deeper bilge that has over 12 inches in it. There is a bulkhead that separates the two with the bilge pump installed and running in the shallow area. Running the bilge pump manually has no discernible affect on the water lever in the deep area. What am I missing here? And I'm cussing myself for not taking pics. Thank You!
Sam Goucher
s/v To The Moon
Frenchy

Re: CD30C bilge design

Post by Frenchy »

That deeper area is probably the holding tank. The pump, manual, for that is probably in the cockpit. At least
that is the way it is in my 33. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

From what I know about the 1984 CD30C, the holding tank is under the engine. The is a long black hose running back to the toilet. I think Cape Dory blew it with this design. My holding tank is under the v-berth.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

if you opened up the holding tank and thought it was a bilge .. then that holding tank has never been used :roll: also be careful with the inspection port lid since they are no longer available or in production.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Most likely holding tank, second Frenchy's comment. Some diesel tanks were placed in the bilge. Find what other hoses go into it and you'll see.Might even be a water tank but I'd ask other 30 owners.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It is definitely the holding tank.

Raven is also a 1984 CD-30 and that is the way she is set up. The inspection cover should be clear. I know this sounds a bit odd for a holding tank but there is a purpose other than grossing you out. The idea is to hold a flash light against the cover and then look down at the front of the vertical surface of the tank. There should be a strip of translucent fiberglass that will allow you to see the level of the tank as a darker line. Kind of an ingenious way of being able to judge how full the tank is without a gauge or opening the thing up.

I don't know if replacement covers are available for that inspection port and I can't imagine how you would lose it unless you were trying to wash it over the side. It is easily replaced. I got a new one for Raven as I wanted to re bed it and wasn't sure how good the seal was. I might have had to slightly enlarge the hole in the tank. The original was attached with screws and I replaced them with through bolts.

It wasn't too shitty a job, Steve.