CD 27 Engine Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

gates_cliff

Re: CD 27 Engine Replacement

Post by gates_cliff »

Mr. Jansen, did you install a single lever Morse control to your Westerbeke? I read or was told that a single lever wouldn't work with the Westerbeke.

All: does anyone know where to buy the throttle, gear shift (engine end) connections?
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Mr. Jansen

Post by Mr. Jansen »

Hey Mr. Gates,

I did not install a Westerbeke engine in Lil' Goose. I had my Yanmar YM8-R rebuilt and installed by men who do that for a living (or maybe a side job). I paid an outboard motor repair facility that has a shop at the North End of Santa Cruz Harbor, close to where Lil' Goose is tied in a slip, to "repair" my side mount single lever throttle control and transmission shifter. I had to wait three weeks until they could get to me. Once they arrived at the boat, they did the job quickly. I was billed an for an hour and so far the controller works smoothly, as designed, although I have not been out for a serious sea trial yet.

Basically they took the throttle cable connection completely loose at the engine, slid the outer sheath away from the attachment at the lever, clipped that end of the outer sheath into place using the existing hardware and then reattached and adjusted the cable and sheath at the engine. They also greased the pivot points at the lever end.

I believe the Morse type single lever controls are available on-line from either a chandlery, like KKI in Richmond, CA or West Marine. I also think I saw them on Amazon. Just search Morse Single Lever Side Mount and see what comes up. The morse design is so universally used, I don't think you'll have much trouble finding what you need. Be sure to get the model number for you cable off the exterior sheath before you go shopping. I saw a youtube video on cleaning and lubricating the cable if you want to go that route, but my cables works smoothly and look pretty new, so I didn't do that. Engine control is very critical and I think I would have the cables replaced rather than try to get the corrosion out of the inside of the cable.

Keep your keel clean and a weather-eye on the horizon.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

gates_cliff wrote:Mr. Jansen, did you install a single lever Morse control to your Westerbeke? I read or was told that a single lever wouldn't work with the Westerbeke.

All: does anyone know where to buy the throttle, gear shift (engine end) connections?
Answered my own question - just went online and searched for westerbeke throttle linkage, and what do you know? It took me to the Westerbeke site where I ordered what I needed. The shipping was equal to the cost of the parts, so I doubled the order!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Mr. Jansen

Post by Mr. Jansen »

Enjoy your summer.
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Just browsing here & saw a reference to Oriental, my former home port for CD-27 Rhiannon, now in other hands. That W-13 may have been Rhiannon's factory engine that I replaced with a Beta 14. The Westy was wondeful & well cared for but servicing it was too much for me. the Beta was a dream in comparison & smoother, quieter, lighter & more fuel efficient.

First time I've been back to the DC Board since swallowing the anchor two years ago. Lots of memories & friends here!
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Hey Andy,

Good to hear from you.

I'd consider repowering with a Beta for the very same reasons you mentioned. The Westy works great and is reliable, but like you said servicing it is tough. I often just have Mrine Engines unlimited do it.
Cliff

― André Gide