CD25 water tank and cabin insert question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

bitn1geo

CD25 water tank and cabin insert question

Post by bitn1geo »

I'm knee deep into a refit of my CD25 and have a question about previous work and locating a new fresh water tank.

It looks like a previous owner put in a new and slightly larger water tank. To make it fit they cut out the entire aft end of the forward "V" that houses the fresh water tank. The photo below was taken looking down and aft from the front of the v-berth. I'm thinking of repairing it but don't know if that's necessary. Does anyone know if the cabin insert helps firm up the hull? Is there any potential harm in leaving it?

Also, I'm looking for a supplier of Cape Dory water tanks. Does anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks,
Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Voges

Re: CD25 water tank and cabin insert question

Post by Voges »

Jeff,

I am a year behind you. I just bought a CD25 in which the previous owner removed the water tank and had a 5 gallon bucket in the cockpit locker with a hose in it connected to the hand pump at the sink!

I am keen on putting a tank in the V-berth area. Did you have any luck with your installation. Any words of advice you gained from experience? And did you find a water tank compatible with the 25?

Many thanks!

Bill Vogel
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Kracor in Wisconsin made the water tank in my former CD25. I got a new one from them but it was many years ago. They are still in business (now a division of Yamaha I believe). Don't know if they kept the old plans.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

When I checked with Kracor two years ago, they weren't selling to the general public anymore. It's too bad because in about 2012 they made a perfect replica of my holding tank based on the original plans.

Jeff
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

bitn1geo wrote:Is there any potential harm in leaving it?
Cassandra has an opening both on the side and top with teak covers. It looks like it was done at the factory (the cuts were smooth, and other cuts on the boat aren't.LOL).

Regards, Terry
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Question: Is there a drain from the anchor well that runs under or around the water tank? I haven't opened up that area yet, and am curious.