CD27 - Rudder Post

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard G.

CD27 - Rudder Post

Post by Richard G. »

Hi,

I recently noticed a bit of water "seeping" from around the base of the rudder post in the boat.
Has anyone had any experience repacking or replacing the rudder stuffing box or what ever the sealing of the post is called.

Thanks,

Richard G.
fmueller

Re: CD27 - Rudder Post

Post by fmueller »

This topic has been covered many times on this board. There is no seal. Just a SS post inside a plastic sleeve inside the grp rudder tube. It typically is above waterline when the boat is at rest. Underway you can get leaking if you have a full cockpit of crew, or prop wash forces water up the tube, or maybe following seas. 27s in particular are prone but also all the CDs with this simple unsealed gravity dependent arrangement. It is more an annoyance than a threat as long as your scupper drains are functioning.

Search this board and you’ll find other discussions. Try “rudder post leaking”
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37250

In fact, asked by me two weeks ago, about 8 posts down on the page.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Richard G. wrote:Hi,

I recently noticed a bit of water "seeping" from around the base of the rudder post in the boat.
Has anyone had any experience repacking or replacing the rudder stuffing box or what ever the sealing of the post is called.

Thanks,

Richard G.
Yea it's annoying. I wrap silicon tape around it . It seems to help, but not the base of the rudder post? I wrap it where the post comes out the tube. I don't have a stuffing box . I guess they figured it was high enough above the water line that it wasn't necessary.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

Hey thanks. Of course I did things out of order and checked the search of the site after posting my inquiry. The site is complete with information as usual. Nonethelees, your note is valuable in that it details the post and sleeve arrangement. My assumption of a stuffing box is made in error.

I have been the caretaker for JOHNNY G for 23 years and never noticed this phenomenon before. I was under power doing 4.5 knots into a 2 knot current in Raccoon Straights, which runs between Angel Island and Tiburon for those who are not familiar with SF Bay. Had had a great ride with the current but then had to fight it on the way back.

Thanks again and stay well.