Replace main halyard cd 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

arch007

Replace main halyard cd 28

Post by arch007 »

want to replace main halyard for the main sail of a cape dory 28.

Would appreciate if anyone knows length, size and type of line they are using ?

Thanks
mgphl52

Re: Replace main halyard cd 28

Post by mgphl52 »

My manual states 72 feet of 7/16 prestretched Dacron, but that was for lines of the era, aka: 40 years ago.
With the newer line strengths, you could also use 3/8. While on that page, spec for jib halyard is 76 feet.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I went to 3/8" Sta Set on Raven.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

If you splice on a headboard shackle you need a couple extra feet for the splice. If you want a loop for a messenger on the tail end of the halyard you need another foot.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I used to splice double braid to my halyard shackles one but I don’t do it any more. The tapered tail can wear on the top block at full hoist—at least mine did. Plus, you can only splice it when it’s new. I’ve moved on to using a bunt line hitch on most of my halyards as recommended by Brion Toss. I was resistant at first but now it makes sense to me. If I were using three strand I’d probably still splice them since it can be respliced regardless how old it is.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

arch007 wrote:want to replace main halyard for the main sail of a cape dory 28.

Would appreciate if anyone knows length, size and type of line they are using ?

Thanks
How difficult is it to just messenger the existing line and duplicate it? Either way leave sufficient extra cordage to allow reversing, re-splicing. etc., after a few seasons of use. On a CD28 with external halyards, there is little or no benefit to using less than 7/16" cordage, because you will benefit from the "hand" of the line when raising the sail manually (i.e., without using the winch initially). Note also that the masthead sheaves are sized for this diameter (7/16") and are usually "vee" shaped to accommodate that size. Also stay away from "exotics" as they are usually (1) more complicated to splice, (2) a lot more expensive, and (3) don't really add much when it comes to lower stretch. In addition, instead of relying on halyard tension for control of sail shape, fit a cunningham tackle and let gravity do its part.
Last edited by kerrydeare on Jun 18th, '20, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

kerrydeare wrote: On a CD28 with external halyards
Not all CD28s have external halyards! I'm guessing internal halyards came in later years or were an option since my 1982 CD28 has them.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

mgphl52 wrote:
kerrydeare wrote: On a CD28 with external halyards
Not all CD28s have external halyards! I'm guessing internal halyards came in later years or were an option since my 1982 CD28 has them.
I am not saying some owners did not later modify the original spar with internal halyards. Far from it. But the company NEVER shipped these boats with anything other than external rigging on the mast. It was just not done.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I know what is inside Raven's mast and I certainly wouldn't want to add halyards to that mix. It is nice to have them, out in the open where I can see what is going on.

I would have to agree that the saving in weight and windage, gained by going down 1/16" of line size really doesn't amount to a significant difference. After a life time of working with my hands, I have no problem griping 3/8" line. I did try using Sta Set X for my main halyard at one time. It was miserably stiff and there was no good use for it after being retired from the mast.

We all have to be comfortable with how we chose to set up our boats, Steve.